News On Iran & Its NeighboursIraqAmerica accuses Iran as Baghdad talks open

America accuses Iran as Baghdad talks open

-

Daily Telegraph: America and Iran exchanged diplomatic blows yesterday in the first substantial talks between the two countries on Iraq’s security situation. The Daily Telegraph

By Damien McElroy, Foreign Affairs Correspondent

America and Iran exchanged diplomatic blows yesterday in the first substantial talks between the two countries on Iraq’s security situation.

A US general set the tone for the encounter by declaring, hours before it opened, that the Islamic Republic bore responsibility for three-quarters of American troop casualties last month.

Even so US representatives and their Iranian counterparts went ahead, together with Iraqi representatives, with a special committee focussed on security. Officials below the rank of ambassador participated in the meeting, held in the office of Iraq’s Shia prime minister, Nouri al-Maliki.

A US spokesman described the discussions in Baghdad as frank and serious, diplomatic code for an exchange of accusations that stopped short of a row. But the two nations agreed to continue the dialogue in future meetings.

“We could call the talks frank and serious, and focussed as agreed on security problems in Iraq,” the US embassy spokesman Philip Reeker said. “They agreed to continue the discussions at a date to be established through regular diplomatic channels.”

advertisement
Iran’s deputy foreign minister, Labid Abawi, issued a more optimistic summary of a “positive and good” encounter.

Lt General Raymond Odierno, the operations commander of US forces in Iraq, yesterday accused Iran of filling a void created by American military success against terrorism.

Shia Muslim militias trained and armed by Iran were responsible for 73 per cent of attacks that killed or wounded American forces last month in Baghdad, he said. The number of attacks staged by Iran’s allies is running at double the rate recorded six months ago.

Later in the day, the US president, George W Bush, said he would pursue efforts to isolate Iran because the government in Teheran is “not a force for good” in the world.

Latest news

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

Must read

U.S.: Iran needs to allay enrichment fears

UPI: The U.S. State Department Friday called on Iran...

Rice criticizes actions of Iran, Syria in Iraq

AFP: US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice expressed concern...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you