News On Iran & Its NeighboursIraqFallon watches for an end to Iran's aid to...

Fallon watches for an end to Iran’s aid to militants

-

Bloomberg: Admiral William Fallon, commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East, said he’ll be watching Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s visit to Iraq next month for signs his country might end its support for Iraqi militants. By Janine Zacharia

Feb. 17 (Bloomberg) — Admiral William Fallon, commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East, said he’ll be watching Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s visit to Iraq next month for signs his country might end its support for Iraqi militants.

“We know that they’ve been supplying lethal aid and training to these criminal elements of the extremist militias,” Fallon said in an interview in Doha late yesterday. “If the meeting results in a dialogue that might throttle that kind of behavior back, I’d be all for it. But it remains to be seen. They certainly haven’t been helpful so far.”

Ahmadinejad’s March 2 visit to Iraq will be the first by an Iranian president since his country’s 1979 revolution. Iran and Iraq fought an eight-year war in the 1980s. The ouster of Saddam Hussein’s Sunni Muslim-led regime in Iraq has led to increased political and economic ties between the two nations. Iran and Iraq both have Shiite Muslim majorities.

Fallon said the U.S. has seen a leveling off of the Iranian-supplied “explosively formed penetrators,” which can pierce armor, deployed against Iraqi and coalition forces. Iran denies it is supplying the weapons, known as EFPs, to Iraqi militants.

“I think it’s probably not too smart to draw too many conclusions from these tactical changes,” said Fallon, 63, who is in Doha for the U.S.-Islamic World Forum sponsored by the Qatari Foreign Ministry and the Brookings Institution’s Saban Center for Middle East Policy. “What we’re looking for is a long-term change in behavior.”

Summer Pause

Fallon also endorsed General David Petraeus’s decision to pause this summer before deciding whether to continue withdrawing U.S. combat brigades from Iraq later in the year. Petraeus, the commander in Iraq, is due to report to Congress next month on troop levels.

Fallon, echoing Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Petraeus, said he favors a pause in troop reductions from Iraq after about 20,000 American soldiers are sent home by July.

The five brigades being withdrawn form the core of a U.S. buildup last year that brought the level of American forces in Iraq to more than 160,000. U.S. officials say the buildup has improved security.

“I think it’s a reasonable approach to let the dust settle when those five” brigades “are out of there and the ground has been reallocated to remaining units to see where we are. How long, and to what extent, remains to be seen, but let’s let General Petraeus take a look at this thing,” Fallon said.

Asked about Gates’s previous comments that the number of brigades could be reduced to 10, rather than 15, this year, Fallon said both he and the defense secretary realized, “things never seem to move quite as fast, as quickly as you might want. But we’re in a pretty darn good position.”

Pakistan Election

Fallon, whose area of operations encompasses the Middle East and much of South Asia, also expressed hope that Pakistani parliamentary elections scheduled for Feb. 18 will allow “this country to achieve some degree of stability and security.”

Asked if he’s concerned that charges of election rigging by Pakistan’s opposition might lead to instability, Fallon said elections are a positive step for the nation, a key ally in U.S. efforts to battle al-Qaeda and Taliban forces in the region.

“Pakistan has a history of instability. There’s no getting around that,” he said. “What we’re looking for is steps in the right direction. The fact that there are elections, there’s a democratic process in work, is a good sign. And let’s hope that it works out.”

Election campaigning has been marred by terrorist attacks, including the Dec. 27 assassination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto. Opposition parties say the Feb. 18 ballot won’t be fair under President Pervez Musharraf, who seized power in a military coup in 1999 and imposed a state of emergency last November in the face of months of demonstrations against his rule.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

U.S.’s Burns wants businesses to cut Iran ties

Reuters: The United States called on Turkey and other...

Obama told to ‘up his game’ to persuade congress on Syria

Bloomberg: President Barack Obama and his aides are meeting...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you