News On Iran & Its NeighboursIraqIraqi army bars burials at Iran rebel camp

Iraqi army bars burials at Iran rebel camp

-

AFP: Iraq-based Iranian rebels who lost 34 members in a clash with the Iraqi army this month were barred from burying the dead at a cemetery inside their base, spokesmen for both sides said on Sunday.

BAGHDAD (AFP) — Iraq-based Iranian rebels who lost 34 members in a clash with the Iraqi army this month were barred from burying the dead at a cemetery inside their base, spokesmen for both sides said on Sunday.

The People’s Mujahedeen of Iran (PMOI) wanted to bury the bodies at a graveyard within Camp Ashraf, which houses around 3,500 opponents of the clerical regime in Tehran, but were prevented from doing so by Iraqi soldiers responsible for securing the camp.

“The cemetery is under the control of the Iraqi army, so if the mujahedeen come to bury their dead, there will be disputes,” said an official at Baquba Operations Command in Diyala province north of Baghdad, where Camp Ashraf is located.

“We have already asked them to bury the corpses outside the cemetery, but inside Camp Ashraf,” added the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

PMOI spokesman Shahriar Kia confirmed by telephone that residents had tried to bury the dead at Ashraf’s graveyard but were barred from doing so.

“In fact, the only place that residents of the camp are demanding their friends and relatives be buried is that public cemetery,” he said, adding that the 34 bodies were being kept at a clinic within the camp.

The United Nations mission in Iraq has called on Baghdad to immediately start an independent inquiry into the April 8 raid on Ashraf, and has expressed “deep concern” over the incident.

Iraqi security forces raided Ashraf as tensions between camp residents and the authorities reached new heights. Baghdad said three people were killed in the clashes.

The United Nations said that most of the victims were killed by gunshots, but government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh denied that the Iraqi military carried out the killings. He said Baghdad would hold its own investigation.

Iraq said after the raid that the PMOI must leave the country by the end of the year.

The left-wing PMOI was founded in 1965 to oppose the shah of Iran, but after the Islamic revolution in 1979 it took up arms against the clerical regime. The group is on the US government terrorist list.

Camp Ashraf was disarmed following the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003 and has become a mounting problem for Iraqi authorities since American forces handed over security for the camp last year.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Iran says it agrees basic nuclear deal with Russia

Reuters: Iran has reached a "basic" agreement with Russia...

The Winter of Higher Education in Iran

Mehdi Soleimanieh, a sociologist, believes that after the first...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you