News On Iran & Its NeighboursIraqAny force deal with Iraq must address Iran: Mullen

Any force deal with Iraq must address Iran: Mullen

-

Reuters: Iran is directly supporting extremist Shi’ite groups that are killing U.S. troops in Iraq and any agreement to keep American forces there beyond the end of the year would have to address the problem, the top U.S. military officer said on Thursday.

By David Alexander

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Iran is directly supporting extremist Shi’ite groups that are killing U.S. troops in Iraq and any agreement to keep American forces there beyond the end of the year would have to address the problem, the top U.S. military officer said on Thursday.

Admiral Mike Mullen, speaking at a luncheon with reporters, said Iranians — with full knowledge of Iran’s leadership — were providing Iraqi Shi’ite groups with high-tech rocket-assisted weapons and shaped explosives effective at penetrating armor.

“Iran is very directly supporting extremist Shia groups which are killing our troops,” said Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. “And there’s no reason … for me to believe that they’re going to stop that as our numbers come down.”

He said Iran made a conscious decision in 2008 to curb its involvement in Iraq, but had now resumed sending supplies to extremist groups, evidently positioning itself to be able to say that it had helped to drive U.S. forces from the region.

“There’s no question they want to influence, and particularly in the south,” Mullen said. “They are shipping high-tech weapons in there … which are killing our people and … the forensics prove that.”

Mullen said he believed any agreement to keep U.S. troops in Iraq beyond the end of the year “has to be done in conjunction with control of Iran in that regard.” He said Baghdad was aware of U.S. concerns about the issue.

All U.S. troops are scheduled to be out of Iraq by December 31 under a status of forces agreement between the two countries. But discussions are under way that could allow Iraqis to retain some U.S. forces to help in areas such as air defense where they need support.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said earlier this week that the Obama administration would consider any request made by the Iraqis to retain some U.S. troops there beyond the deadline.

He said no request had yet been made and indicated time was running out because Washington had to stay on course for withdrawal if it was to meet the December deadline for pulling out its remaining forces. Mullen said some 46,000 remain in Iraq.

Mullen said discussions were ongoing with the Iraqis about what capabilities were needed and how many personnel.

“The current discussions cover both, and there are very clear capability gaps that the Iraqi security forces are going to have,” he said, citing air defense, aviation and elements of intelligence.

(Editing by Eric Walsh)

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

Iran rejects parts of nuclear package it has been offered

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Jun. 11 – Iran rejected...

NCRI: Iran stalling P5+1, deliberately denying IAEA access to military sites

Washington, 25 Jun - Iran's main opposition group on...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you