Iran General NewsU.S. could strike Iran but not win-Russian general

U.S. could strike Iran but not win-Russian general

-

Reuters: The United States cannot inflict a military defeat on Iran and any attack would be a huge political mistake, Russia’s top general said on Tuesday. MOSCOW, April 3 (Reuters) – The United States cannot inflict a military defeat on Iran and any attack would be a huge political mistake, Russia’s top general said on Tuesday.

“It is possible to damage Iran’s military and industrial potential, but it is impossible to win,” Russian news agencies quoted General Yuri Baluyevsky, head of the Russian general staff, as saying.

“The United States has a contingent in the region capable of launching a strike on Iranian territory.

“However, such possible strikes would be a huge political mistake. Shockwaves from this attack could be felt around the world.”

Washington and its Western allies accuse Iran of wanting to build nuclear bombs, a charge Tehran denies. Tensions have been further aggravated by Iran’s capture of 15 British sailors and marines in the northern Gulf on March 23.

Russia sells weapons to the Iranian military and is helping Tehran build a nuclear power station on the Gulf although work there is on hold over a payment dispute.

Russian media late last month quoted unnamed sources in Russian military intelligence as saying the United States could launch a strike on Iran as early as April 6.

RIA news agency quoted a Russian security source as saying Moscow has military intelligence reports that the U.S. has already approved a list of Iranian targets for bomb and missile strikes. The source said a land operation could follow.

U.S. President George W. Bush has said he will pursue diplomatic means to persuade Iran to drop its uranium enrichment plan but he has refused to rule out the use of force.

Baluyevsky said military involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan showed the United States would face a fiasco if it took on Iran as well.

“The Americans must think twice (about attacking Iran),” he said. “They have already got stuck in Afghanistan and Iraq.”

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Hunger strike in Iran prison enters third week

Iran Focus: Tehran, Feb. 17 - A hunger strike...

Iran acknowledges oil well takeover

AFP: Iran on Saturday acknowledged its takeover of an...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you