Iran General News'No witch hunt' in Iran stories row

‘No witch hunt’ in Iran stories row

-

Press Association: Downing Street has insisted it will not engage in a “witch hunt” against those responsible for the botched cash-for-stories decision. Press Association

Downing Street has insisted it will not engage in a “witch hunt” against those responsible for the botched cash-for-stories decision.

Responding to a petition which called for the “naming and sacking” of whoever authorised the Iran detainees to sell their accounts, Number 10 said Tony Blair believed actions had been taken “honourably and in difficult circumstances”.

A statement posted on the Downing Street website said: “The Prime Minister has already made it clear that he recognises that the Navy were trying to deal with a wholly exceptional situation.

“He has no intention of engaging in a witch hunt against people who acted honourably and in good faith in very difficult circumstances.”

The comments are likely to be seen as an attempt to reduce pressure on Defence Secretary Des Browne, who has accepted “full responsibility” for the 15 captives originally being allowed to profit from their ordeal.

Mr Blair previously distanced himself from the controversy, saying the decision was not a “good idea” while insisting he had not been aware of the plan until after it was finalised.

Mr Browne is expected to come under fire from both opposition parties and Labour backbenchers when he makes a statement to the Commons on Monday.

The petition has garnered more than 2,800 signatures since it was posted on the Downing Street site on Thursday morning.

It states: “We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to name and sack the person responsible for declaring that members of the armed services can sell their stories to the media.”

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Ahmadinejad says West to suffer if Iran dealt with at UN

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Jul. 13 – Radical Iranian...

The Rising Cost of Food in Iran; Hidden Pressure on Large Families

The state-run magazine Niniban published a report on April...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you