Iran General NewsIran bans foreigners from border province

Iran bans foreigners from border province

-

AFP: Iran has banned all Afghan and other foreign nationals from a sensitive southeastern border province as part of a drive to deport tens of thousands of illegal migrants, a senior police chief said Tuesday. TEHRAN, May 22, 2007 (AFP) – Iran has banned all Afghan and other foreign nationals from a sensitive southeastern border province as part of a drive to deport tens of thousands of illegal migrants, a senior police chief said Tuesday.

“No legal or illegal foreign nationals are allowed to live, work and travel in any cities of Sistan-Baluchestan province, in line with the scheme to deport foreigners,” deputy police chief Hossein Zolfaghari told state media.

Zolfaghari said “more than 65,000 illegal foreign citizens have been apprehended in Sistan-Baluchestan province”, which borders Afghanistan and Pakistan, since Iran launched the plan to expel illegal immigrants on April 21.

Iran has expelled tens of thousands of Afghans over the past month, mostly from Sistan-Baluchestan, and Interior Minister Mostafa Pour Mohammadi has said Tehran wants one million Afghans to be repatriated by next March.

But Iran has agreed to slow down the process after the speed of the deportations prompted the Afghan parliament to sack two cabinet ministers.

The Iranian interior ministry said it has already repatriated 85,000 illegal Afghans and the United Nations confirmed on Monday more 70,000 had been returned home.

Afghans without proper employment papers are estimated to form half of the two million Afghans, mostly Shiite Hazara or Sunni Persian-speaking Tajiks, who fled the conflict at home and still live in the Islamic republic.

Sistan-Baluchestan is the main narcotics transit route from Afghanistan and Pakistan to the markets of Europe and the Gulf, and a frequent scene of bloody clashes between smugglers and police.

The authorities are also concerned about the emergence of a shadowy Sunni militant group known as Jundallah, which has claimed responsibly of a series of deadly bombings and abductions in the province.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Veterans, families, sue six banks claiming they helped Iran fund terror groups

Source: Foxnews.com More than 200 veterans and their families...

U.S. lawmakers seek tighter Iran sanctions before any deal

Reuters: U.S. lawmakers said on Sunday they aimed to...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you