Iran General NewsKuwait opposes military strike against Iran

Kuwait opposes military strike against Iran

-

AFP: US ally Kuwait said on Sunday it opposes any military strike against its Gulf neighbour Iran, and called for a negotiated settlement of the standoff over Tehran’s nuclear programme. KUWAIT CITY, June 3, 2007 (AFP) – US ally Kuwait said on Sunday it opposes any military strike against its Gulf neighbour Iran, and called for a negotiated settlement of the standoff over Tehran’s nuclear programme.

“We are against any military strike against Iran,” National Security Agency chief Sheikh Ahmad Fahd al-Sabah told reporters. “We hope the issue will be resolved through dialogue.”

He said Iran had the right to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, but added: “We however oppose any use of nuclear technology for inhuman purposes in the Middle East region.”

Kuwait last month formed an emergency team to prepare contingency plans for any possible outbreak of Iran-US hostilities over Tehran’s nuclear drive, which Washington suspects is a cover for efforts to build the atomic bomb.

Sheikh Ahmad said the preparations were “simply precautionary measures.”

The United States on Saturday called on the international community for stronger sanctions against Iran for refusing to suspend nuclear enrichment.

Washington has said it would prefer to address its concerns about Tehran’s nuclear programme diplomatically but refuses to rule out the option of military action.

It has beefed up its military presence in the Gulf and has a second aircraft carrier stationed in the strategic waterway for the first time since the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Kuwait served as the launch-pad for that invasion and remains the main staging point for US-led troops in Iraq. Around 15,000 US troops are stationed at several bases in the emirate.

Iran consistently denies it is trying to build nuclear weapons and says it merely wants to generate energy.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Iran hopes OPEC lowers output: oil minister

AFP: Iran is unhappy with the current oil prices,...

Can Iran’s regional belligerence be rolled back?

Mr. Mohammad Mohaddessin, Chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you