Iran General NewsIran criticizes U.S.-Saudi deal

Iran criticizes U.S.-Saudi deal

-

AP: Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman on Monday criticized a U.S. plan to sell state-of-the-art weapons to Saudi Arabia, saying it would undermine security in the Middle East, the state broadcasting company reported. Associated Press

By NASSER KARIMI

Associated Press Writer

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) – Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman on Monday criticized a U.S. plan to sell state-of-the-art weapons to Saudi Arabia, saying it would undermine security in the Middle East, the state broadcasting company reported.

Mohammad Ali Hosseini’s comments followed reports last week that the U.S. planned to sell Saudi Arabia an estimated $20 billion of sophisticated weaponry, including advanced air systems that would greatly enhance the striking ability of Saudi warplanes.

“What the Persian Gulf region needs is stability and security,” Hosseini was quoted as saying on the Web site of the state broadcasting company. “Americans have been trying to disturb it by selling weapons to the region.”

Administration officials have also said the U.S. will extend additional aid to other friendly nations in the Middle East, including Israel and Egypt.

The proposed weapons sales and aid packages are intended to strengthen U.S. allies at a time of uncertainty in the Middle East, officials have said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press. They also help counteract Iran’s rising influence in the region.

The United States accuses Iran of developing nuclear weapons and supporting Shiite militias in Iraq, charges Tehran denies. The Sunni-led governments of the Middle East are also wary of Shiite Iran’s growing power, and Israel views the country as its principal enemy.

Hosseini accused the U.S. on Monday of inflaming tensions in the region to further its weapons sales.

“Americans have pursued a particular policy in the region: creation of fear and concern among regional countries in order to prepare an opportunity for selling arms,” he was quoted as saying.

The Israeli and Egyptian proposals would lock in U.S. aid commitments for the next 10 years. The total for Israel would rise from $2.4 billion to about $3 billion a year, and Egypt would continue to receive $1.3 billion a year.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is expected to announce the proposed aid deals and a proposed arms sales package to Persian Gulf nations, including Saudi Arabia, before she leaves on a trip to the Middle East on Monday.

Latest news

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Cost of Living Basket Several Times Higher Than Iranian Workers’ Wages

Workers' cost of living has come under pressure from inflation and low wages. July inflation data point to intensifying...

‘No To Executions Tuesdays’ Campaign Expands to 60 Prisons Across Iran

According to human rights sources in Iran, the "No to Executions Tuesdays" campaign has expanded to 60 prisons across...

Iranian Regime Parliament Issues New Plan to Counter ‘Infiltration’

The general framework of the proposal titled "Countering the Infiltration of Intelligence Services and Foreign Governments or Institutions" was...

People In Iran Can No Longer Afford to Repair Household Appliances

The sharp rise in living costs in Iran has prevented many citizens from repairing household appliances, forcing them to...

Must read

Don’t “play” with Islamic law, Iranian women told

Reuters: Activists should not try to change Islamic laws...

South Korea to hold talks with U.S. and Iran over sanctions

Reuters: South Korea will soon start separate talks with...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you