Iran General NewsIran allows family to search for missing former F.B.I....

Iran allows family to search for missing former F.B.I. agent

-

New York Times: The Iranian government said Sunday that it would allow family members of a former F.B.I. agent they believe is missing in Iran to travel there to try to find him. The New York Times

By WARREN HOGE
Published: September 24, 2007

UNITED NATIONS, Sept. 23 — The Iranian government said Sunday that it would allow family members of a former F.B.I. agent they believe is missing in Iran to travel there to try to find him.

The government granted the permission in a statement from its mission to the United Nations, which said it was responding to a written plea to Manouchehr Mottaki, the Iranian foreign minister, from Christine Levinson, the wife of the missing man, Robert Levinson.

The statement said that Iranian authorities had “made every effort to find any clues” of Mr. Levinson’s whereabouts, but that they could not corroborate his presence in Iran.

The statement said that despite the fact that “no sign of his presence in Iran has been traced so far,” the government was giving Mrs. Levinson a positive response “if this trip may in any way help allay her concern and anxiety as well as those of the Levinson family.”

Mrs. Levinson said her husband disappeared March 8 after flying from Dubai to Kish, a resort island off the southern coast of Iran. Kish belongs to Iran, but it is a free-trade zone, and foreigners are not required to have a visa to go there.

Mr. Levinson, 59, was an F.B.I. agent for more than 20 years until his retirement in 1998. He has since worked as a private investigator.

Mrs. Levinson said she last spoke to her husband before he flew out of Dubai on March 8, and grew worried when she could not reach him. He was due to fly to London on March 10, she said, but never made the trip.

Mrs. Levinson responded to a request for comment on Sunday with an e-mail message in which she thanked the Iranians for their announcement, but said she was awaiting more information from them “necessary for my search for my husband to have any chance of success.” She also disputed Iran’s claim that it had uncovered no evidence of Mr. Levinson’s presence in Iran.

“This appears to contradict information provided by Iranian authorities to the Swiss government in early September,” she wrote. “At that time Iranian officials said that Bob had left his hotel on Kish on March 8 by taxi, but could not confirm whether he was headed to the airport.”

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Must read

Iran’s Unstable Economy

By Jubin Katiraie The future of Iran’s economy is looking...

Iran Pensioners Protest for 4th Week in a Row

Iranian retirees rallied in several cities on Sunday, for...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you