Iran General NewsHuman rights investigator slams U.N., EU blacklists

Human rights investigator slams U.N., EU blacklists

-

Reuters: Terrorist blacklists drawn up by the United Nations and the European Union violate basic human rights, a Swiss investigator working for Europe’s leading human rights forum has said. STRASBOURG, France (Reuters) – Terrorist blacklists drawn up by the United Nations and the European Union violate basic human rights, a Swiss investigator working for Europe’s leading human rights forum has said.

In a report released on Sunday, Dick Marty said the suspects placed on the lists did not have the right to reply and found it virtually impossible to clear their names.

“The present system of blacklists flouts the fundamental principles which are the basis of human rights,” Marty said in his report, which is due to be presented to the Strasbourg-based Council of Europe on Monday.

The U.N. Security Council first established a list of al Qaeda and Taliban suspects in 1999. It contains the names of some 368 individuals and 124 entities.

The United Nations said its members must freeze the assets of and prevent the entry into their territories of anyone on the lists, and prevent the sale and transfer of arms to them.

The European Union has set up its own blacklist.

Marty said both organizations must respect “minimal norms of procedure and juridical safeguards” before imposing restrictions. These norms included giving suspects the right to appeal to an independent and impartial organization and the right to compensation in the case of any miscarriage of justice.

He said the Council of Europe’s 47 member states should make sure such guarantees were offered.

He highlighted the case of the People’s Mujahideen of Iran, which forms part of the National Council of Resistance of Iran and is on an EU blacklist despite a European Court ruling in 2006 saying it should be removed from the list.

“Despite recent procedural improvements it remains almost impossible, in practice, to be removed from the blacklist — a situation that is illegal and unacceptable,” Marty wrote.

Marty has previously taken aim at CIA anti-terrorism operations, including the kidnapping and secret transfers of detainees, accusing European governments of building a “wall of silence” around their complicity with U.S. secret services.

(Reporting by Gilbert Reilhac, writing by Crispian Balmer, editing by Tim Pearce)

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

GCC protests at Iran cleric’s Bahrain comments

AFP: The secretary general of the Gulf Cooperation Council...

Iranian authorities step up arrests of women for ‘immodest’ dress

Washington Post: Iranian authorities have begun police patrols in...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you