Iran General NewsIran reformers barred from vote

Iran reformers barred from vote

-

AP: More than 2,000 reformers seeking democratic changes within Iran’s hard-line ruling establishment have been disqualified from running in the upcoming parliamentary elections, a top interior ministry official said Wednesday. The Associated Press

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — More than 2,000 reformers seeking democratic changes within Iran’s hard-line ruling establishment have been disqualified from running in the upcoming parliamentary elections, a top interior ministry official said Wednesday.

The disqualification of reformist candidates removes challenges to hard-liners — including those allied with embattled President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad — vying for the parliament seats in the crucial March 14 election.

Parliamentary elections are seen as a key test of Ahmadinejad’s hold on power and a harbinger for the 2009 presidential elections. The hard-line president has come under increasing criticism — from both allies and opponents — about his failure to fix Iran’s economic problems, which have most recently led to heating gas shortages.

Out of an initial 7,200 prospective candidates registered, some 5,000 remain in the running, said Ali Reza Afshar, a top Interior Ministry official in charge of elections.

Afshar didn’t rule out reversing some disqualified candidates, and he said that those disqualified have the right to appeal. The hard-line constitutional watchdog, the Guardian Council, will announce a final list of approved candidates on March 5.

Council’s chief Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati, a key Ahmadinejad ally, said last month that any candidate determined by the Council to be disloyal to the principles of Iran’s 1979 Islamic Revolution would be barred from running.

Many members of the Guardian Council were chosen by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has the final say on all state matters.

The disqualifications were reminiscent of 2004, when the Council barred thousands of reformists from running in that year’s parliament elections, allowing hard-liners to regain control of the 290-seat legislative body. The supreme leader largely supported the Council.

The disqualifications have provoked widespread condemnation from reformists.

Former President Mohammad Khatami — himself a reformist — had in advance warned of possible disqualifications and said the government had no right to deprive Iranians the right to run in elections.

The government, meanwhile, said it mailed letters to prospective candidates informing them of their disqualification. In Tehran, some 400 out of 1,400 hopefuls were disqualified, the government said in a statement carried by the official IRNA news agency.

“Worrying reports have come true. The number of candidates disqualified is surprising,” said Abdollah Naseri, spokesman for an umbrella group of 21 reformist factions.

Hardest hit in the vetting process are the Islamic Iran Participation Front (IIPF), Iran’s largest reformist party, and the Islamic Revolution Mojahedeen Organization (IRMO), another reformist faction.

“All prospective candidates fielded by IIPF and IRMO in Tehran have been rejected,” Saeed Shariati, a top Front figure said Wednesday. “Of 200 IIPF hopefuls registered throughout Iran, 190 of them have been disqualified.”

Some of those disqualified were key lawmakers or cabinet ministers during the tenure of Khatami, who is a reformist.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

White House: no evidence Iran drone claim is true

AFP: "We have no evidence that the Iranian claims...

Egypt cancels football match with Iran over Sadat film

AFP: The Egyptian Football Association said on Friday that...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you