Iran General NewsActivist says barred from leaving Iran to get award

Activist says barred from leaving Iran to get award

-

Reuters: An Iranian women’s rights campaigner said police prevented her from flying out of Tehran on Monday to pick up a $75,000 human rights award in Sweden. TEHRAN (Reuters) – An Iranian women’s rights campaigner said police prevented her from flying out of Tehran on Monday to pick up a $75,000 human rights award in Sweden.

Parvin Ardalan, who was awarded the Olof Palme Prize for 2007, said she had boarded the Air France plane at Tehran’s international airport when aircraft crew told her that police had informed them she could not leave.

Airport police waiting outside the plane said they were acting on a judge’s order and took her passport, Ardalan told Reuters by phone.

“I think they didn’t want me to attend the prize ceremony because … it was a good opportunity for me as an activist, a member of the women movement,” the 41-year-old journalist said.

Ardalan is a leading figure in a campaign to collect 1 million signatures in favor of greater women’s rights in the conservative Islamic Republic, which rejects Western accusations it is violating human rights.

Activists say many of them have been detained since the drive began in 2006. Most were freed within a few days or weeks.

Another member of the campaign said Ardalan was handed a partly-suspended three-year jail sentence for taking part in a banned protest in Tehran in 2006 but that it had been appealed.

The Olof Palme Memorial Fund, set up in memory of the former Swedish prime minister assassinated in 1986, last month said Ardalan “succeeded in making the demand for equal rights for men and women a central part of the struggle for democracy in Iran”.

An official of the fund said he still hoped Ardalan could attend the March 6 prize ceremony in Stockholm. “There must have been some misunderstanding,” he said from the Swedish capital.

Western diplomats see the detentions of women activists in Iran as part of a wider crackdown on dissent, which they say may be in response to international pressure over Iran’s nuclear work. Iran rejects accusations it wants to build an atomic bomb.

The women activists say they face institutionalized discrimination that makes them “second-class citizens” in divorce, inheritance, child custody and other aspects of life.

Iran rejects the allegations and says women in Iran are protected from the sex symbol status they have in the West.

Women are entitled to hold most jobs, but Iran remains dominated by men. In recent years women have started to work in the police and fire departments and there are female members of parliament, but they cannot run for president or become judges.

(Writing by Fredrik Dahl; Editing by Caroline Drees)

Latest news

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Cost of Living Basket Several Times Higher Than Iranian Workers’ Wages

Workers' cost of living has come under pressure from inflation and low wages. July inflation data point to intensifying...

‘No To Executions Tuesdays’ Campaign Expands to 60 Prisons Across Iran

According to human rights sources in Iran, the "No to Executions Tuesdays" campaign has expanded to 60 prisons across...

Iranian Regime Parliament Issues New Plan to Counter ‘Infiltration’

The general framework of the proposal titled "Countering the Infiltration of Intelligence Services and Foreign Governments or Institutions" was...

People In Iran Can No Longer Afford to Repair Household Appliances

The sharp rise in living costs in Iran has prevented many citizens from repairing household appliances, forcing them to...

Canadian Federal Court Rejects Salman Samani’s Request to Halt Deportation

The Federal Court of Canada has rejected Salman Samani's request to halt his deportation from Canada. Samani served as...

Must read

US missile shield threatens resolution of Iran stand-off: Russia

AFP: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Saturday...

Iran offers 40 pct stake to Indian cos in gas field

Reuters: Iran has offered Indian firms a 40 percent...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you