Iran General NewsBush says no plans to attack Iran: interview

Bush says no plans to attack Iran: interview

-

AFP: US President George W. Bush said Friday he has no intention of attacking Iran, in an interview in which he also gave some advice to his successor on how to deal with the Islamic Republic.
CRAWFORD, Texas (AFP) — US President George W. Bush said Friday he has no intention of attacking Iran, in an interview in which he also gave some advice to his successor on how to deal with the Islamic Republic.

Questioned during an interview with ABC television whether his intention was to not attack Iran, Bush replied: “Exactly” — although he refused to rule out the use of force altogether.

“I have always said all options need to be on the table, but my first effort is to solve this issue diplomatically,” he said from his Texas ranch.

Bush said he was not planning an attack, adding: “I’m chuckling, because, you know, from my perch, my perspective, these rumors happen all the time … I wouldn’t say they’re amusing. It’s part of the job, I guess.”

The president accuses Iran of seeking nuclear weapons and arming and funding groups fighting US forces in Iraq.

And he made clear in the interview that he would act to protect Americans or Iraqis from Iranian actions in neighboring Iraq.

“The message to the Iranians is: we will bring you to justice if you continue to try to infiltrate, send your agents or send surrogates to bring harm to our troops and/or the Iraqi citizens,” he said.

Asked to elaborate on this “justice,” Bush replied: “It means capture or kill, is what that means.”

With less than ten months until he leaves office, the president also offered some advice to his successor in the White House, including thinly veiled criticism of Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama.

The Illinois senator has said he would open a dialogue with Iran if elected president, while Bush has said any talks must take place in a multilateral forum and on condition that Tehran suspend its sensitive nuclear activities.

“If you send the wrong signals as the president to the Iranians, they may pocket that signal, become even more difficult to deal with,” Bush said.

Latest news

Execution of Shahram Sadeghi, a Protester from Iran’s January Uprising

The Iranian regime's Judiciary announced on the morning of Sunday, August 16, that Shahram Sadeghi had been executed. He...

Iran’s Healthcare Services in Crisis with Shortage of 100,000 Nurses

The shortage of 100,000 nurses in Iran's healthcare system has now become one of the most serious crises facing...

Spanish Daily El Debate: Inside Iran, an Organized Resistance Endures Against the Regime’s Wartime Crackdown

In an analytical report published by the Spanish daily El Debate, Firouz Mahvi, Political Director of the Brussels office...

Political Prisoner Denied Treatment in Greater Tehran Prison

The physical condition of Hamid Haj-Jafar Kashani, a political prisoner held in Tehran Great Prison, has reportedly become concerned...

Iran’s Regime Cuts Food Voucher Benefits Under ‘Overseas Resident’ Label

In its latest move against low-income segments of society, the Iranian regime has suspended food voucher benefits for a...

Canada Sanctions Five Political and Military Officials of the Iranian Regime

The Canadian government announced on Friday, August 14, that it had imposed sanctions on five military and political officials...

Must read

French banks stop credit for Iran fuel imports

Reuters: Indian refiner Reliance quit selling gasoline and diesel...

UN states lag on Iran sanctions reports

AP: Less than half of the United Nations' member...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you