Iran General NewsIran withdraws claim on U.S. plane

Iran withdraws claim on U.S. plane

-

ImageNew York Times: An Iranian news agency said Tuesday that a United States warplane had been forced to land in Iran, but the United States military denied the claim, and Tehran quickly withdrew it.

The New York Times

By ALAN COWELL
Published: October 7, 2008

ImagePARIS — An Iranian news agency said Tuesday that a United States warplane had been forced to land in Iran, but the United States military denied the claim, and Tehran quickly withdrew it.

Within moments of the first report on the semi-official Fars news agency, an Arabic-language Iranian state television channel, Al Alam, said on its Web site that the plane “was not a military plane and did not belong to the United States.”

The television station’s Web site said the plane was forced down on Sunday and allowed to fly on to Afghanistan on Monday. It did not say where the incident took place.

The channel quoted an unidentified official saying “a few U.S. military soldiers were on the plane.” However, in a subsequent report, the television station quoted an unidentified military source as saying the plane was Hungarian and carried no United States military personnel. Hungary is listed on NATO’s Web site as having a small military contingent in Afghanistan, which shares a border with Iran. United States and NATO forces are fighting resurgent Taliban militants in Afghanistan.

The initial report on Fars said that an American Falcon jet had entered Iranian airspace from Turkey “despite repeated warnings” from Iran.

“The U.S. jet was flying at low altitude in a bid to remain unnoticed by Iranian radars, but it was made to touch down at an Iranian airport escorted by Air Force fighter jets,” the Fars report said.

It said the crew and passengers, identified as five members of the military and three civilians, were released “after daylong interrogations revealed that they had violated Iranian airspace unintentionally as they were en route to Afghanistan.”

The United States Air Force said no American aircraft had been forced downed. “All U.S. aircraft supporting operations in Afghanistan and Iraq are accounted for,” the air force said in a statement.

Thom Shanker contributed reporting from Washington.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Perspectives: Britain’s Iranian hostage crisis

Iran Focus: London, Apr. 02 – The following are...

Allies at IAEA Meeting Reject U.S. Stand on Iran

Washington Post: The Bush administration failed on Friday to...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you