Iran General NewsIran says Total to continue in developing South Pars

Iran says Total to continue in developing South Pars

-

ImageBloomberg: Iran said Total SA, Europe’s third- largest oil company, has agreed to continue developing the South Pars natural-gas field.

By Tara Patel

ImageMarch 16 (Bloomberg) — Iran said Total SA, Europe’s third- largest oil company, has agreed to continue developing the South Pars natural-gas field.

“We believe that Total has agreed to continue its role in developing South Pars,” Iranian Oil Minister Gholamhossein Nozari said today in Geneva where he is attending an energy conference. “We believe we should develop our fields and give opportunities to some companies. It depends on them.”

Nozari’s comments contradict a report last week that Iran will seek another partner to develop the field. Total, “under direct U.S. pressure, has made no progress on the project to develop Phase 11 of South Pars,” National Iranian Oil Co. Managing Director Seifollah Jashnsaz said March 11, according to the official Islamic Republic News Agency.

During talks with National Iranian Oil, the French company indicated it “cannot have an active presence in the project due to sanctions against Iran,” Jashnsaz was quoted as saying. “Iran will choose another partner to transfer this company’s shares to,” he added, without saying whether a new company had been selected.

Total postponed investment in South Pars last year, citing Iran’s strained relations with the West. The U.S. accuses the country of developing nuclear weapons. Iran, which has the world’s largest gas reserves outside Russia, disputes the claim.

Pars LNG

Total owns a 30 percent stake in the so-called Pars LNG venture, which entails construction of a $2 billion gas- liquefaction plant. The operation would process gas from Phase 11 of South Pars, a field that extends from Qatar’s North Field, forming the largest known gas deposit in the world.

“Total continues to negotiate, this has not changed,” Total spokeswoman Phenelope Semavoine said by telephone from Paris today. “There is no decision for the moment.”

The Iranian Oil Ministry said last month that it expected to sign a delayed $5 billion deal for the development of South Pars by March 20. Days later, Total Chief Executive Officer Christophe de Margerie said it had no immediate plans to proceed with the contract.

Iran has slowed field development plans as United Nations economic sanctions hamper investment and the U.S. urges international companies to cut ties with the country.

“Iranian trade in oil and gas can play a key role in meeting global energy needs,” Nozari said earlier during a speech to the conference.

Latest news

Iran’s New Generation Seeks Nothing but Regime Change

In a silly and desperate statement, the Iranian regime’s foreign minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian claimed that nothing special is going...

Iran’s Youths Broke the Spell of Fear

One of the main characteristics of the recent protests in Iran is the courage and fearlessness of the people,...

Iran Is on the Brink of a Revolution

The wall of fear has been broken. In many cities across Iran, women are taking to the streets, leading...

Iran’s Regime Claims To Fill Global Energy Gap Despite Crippled Petroleum Sector

In recent weeks, the Iranian regime’s officials have been constantly exaggerating their huge capacity in oil and gas reserves...

What Is Happening in Iran?

Following the brutal killing of Masha Amini, the Iranian people have once again united to fight and defeat the...

Iran Regime’s Ministry of Culture’s Decision To Eliminate Children’s Intellectual Centers

With the so-called ‘Cultural Revolution’ which took place between 1980 and 1983, the Iranian regime tried to purge the...

Must read

US negotiator gives no hard deadline for Iran deal

AP: The Obama administration's chief nuclear negotiator refused Tuesday...

Khatami calls Hizbollah symbol of resistance

Reuters: Former Iranian President Mohammed Khatami said on Sunday...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you