Iran General NewsIran nuclear official, Solana speak on phone

Iran nuclear official, Solana speak on phone

-

ImageReuters: Iran's chief nuclear negotiator spoke with European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana after the Islamic Republic said it was ready for talks with six world powers, Iranian media reported on Thursday.

ImageTEHRAN (Reuters) – Iran's chief nuclear negotiator spoke with European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana after the Islamic Republic said it was ready for talks with six world powers, Iranian media reported on Thursday.

Responding to the powers' invitation to discuss the long-running dispute over Iran's nuclear program, Tehran said on Wednesday said it welcomed "constructive" talks but that it would press ahead with work to develop atomic energy.

State radio said Saeed Jalili, Iran's top nuclear negotiator, spoke with Solana on the telephone a few hours after Tehran released its response in a statement.

It quoted Solana, who had been asked by world powers including the United States to invite Tehran to a meeting, as saying the Iranian statement "contains constructive items and a new opportunity for advancement of talks."

Jalili said Iran's response "contains a new suitable orientation for the advancement of talks in an atmosphere of mutual respect and fairness," the radio report said.

The United States and its Western allies suspect Iran is aiming to develop nuclear bombs under the cover of a civilian program and want it to halt sensitive uranium enrichment. Iran rejects the allegation and says it will not bow to pressure.

The United States, Russia, China, France, Germany and Britain said on April 8 they would ask Solana to invite Iran to a meeting to find "a diplomatic solution to this critical issue," referring to the nuclear row.

It marked a significant shift in U.S. policy under President Barack Obama, whose predecessor George W. Bush shunned direct talks with Iran as long as it continued with enrichment activity.

(Reporting by Hashem Kalantari; writing by Fredrik Dahl, editing by Richard Williams)

Latest news

40 million Iranians Below Poverty Line

Iran’s economy entered the year 2026 while many economists and regime-affiliated research institutions warned that the country has entered...

Telecommunications Employees in Tehran Protest Four Years of Unpaid Claims

Four years of non-payment of overdue telecommunications wages have pushed employees’ livelihoods to the brink of collapse. According to...

US Prepares for Another War with the Iranian Regime

Images released from the U.S. Navy’s Carrier Strike Group 11, led by the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, show that...

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Must read

Iran says makes arrests before revolution day rally

Reuters: Iran has arrested several people who were preparing...

Confusion reigns over French PM’s words on Iran’s terror ties

Iran Focus: London, Jul. 26 – Did he say...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you