Iran General NewsFIFA demand clarification on Iran football punishment

FIFA demand clarification on Iran football punishment

-

ImageAFP: Football's world governing body FIFA wrote to the Iranian football federation on Wednesday to ask for answers over alleged punishments meted out to several of their players for wearing wristbands reflecting their support for opposition presidential candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi.

ImageGENEVA (AFP) — Football's world governing body FIFA wrote to the Iranian football federation on Wednesday to ask for answers over alleged punishments meted out to several of their players for wearing wristbands reflecting their support for opposition presidential candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi.

Six of them wore the green wristbands during the 2010 World Cup qualifier 1-1 draw with South Korea last week, including two of their icons Ali Karimi and skipper Mehdi Mahdavikia.

It has been reported, largely by English television station Channel Four News on Tuesday and the left leaning Guardian newspaper on Wednesday that they had been told they would never play for their country again because of their stance.

A FIFA spokesperson told AFP on Wednesday that they had written a letter asking for more information.

"We wrote a letter to the Iranian Federation to ask for some answers and clarification regarding the press reports over what happened to some of the Iranian players following the qualifier with South Korea on June 17," the spokesperson said.

Iran has refused to overturn the results of the controversial presidential poll which saw President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad re-elected despite a wave of public demonstrations and complaints that the June 12 election was rigged.

However, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei – who has ruled over the Islamic republic for 20 years – has extended by five days a Wednesday deadline to examine vote complaints.

The authorities have also intensified a crackdown on Mousavi, with the arrest of 25 staff at his newspaper and vitriolic attacks from the hardline press.

Another defeated candidate, former Revolutionary Guards chief Mohsen Rezai, has withdrawn his protest about election irregularities, in a blow to the opposition.

Latest news

The Collapse of Investment in Iran, the Shutdown of Production, the Downward Spiral of Life

The collapse of investment in Iran means the halt of production, widespread unemployment, capital flight, the destruction of job...

Inflation, Economic Crisis, and the Silent Collapse of Iran’s Middle Class

The state-run Khabar Fori website wrote on May 22 that the phenomenon of “poor billionaires” has become one of...

40 million Iranians Below Poverty Line

Iran’s economy entered the year 2026 while many economists and regime-affiliated research institutions warned that the country has entered...

Telecommunications Employees in Tehran Protest Four Years of Unpaid Claims

Four years of non-payment of overdue telecommunications wages have pushed employees’ livelihoods to the brink of collapse. According to...

US Prepares for Another War with the Iranian Regime

Images released from the U.S. Navy’s Carrier Strike Group 11, led by the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, show that...

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Must read

Iran envoy dismisses tougher terms for atom fuel swap

Reuters: Iran's envoy to the U.N. nuclear agency dismissed...

Clinton says nuke offer to Iran won’t be changed

AP: U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you