Iran General NewsIran bans opposition mourning ceremony

Iran bans opposition mourning ceremony

-

ImageAFP: Iran has denied the opposition a permit for a ceremony to mourn people slain in protests over last month's presidential election, the interior ministry said on Tuesday.

ImageTEHRAN (AFP) — Iran has denied the opposition a permit for a ceremony to mourn people slain in protests over last month's presidential election, the interior ministry said on Tuesday.

"No permit has been issued for gathering and marching for any individuals or different political groups," Mahmoud Abbaszadeh Meshkini, the ministry's political director, told the Fars news agency.

He said the ministry had received "a note signed by two presidential candidates, who were not favoured by the majority of voters, to hold a memorial service for those killed in post-election events."

Opposition leaders Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi, who lost to incumbent hardliner Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, had submitted request for a "silent" memorial in Tehran on Thursday which would feature recitals from the Koran.

At least 20 people were killed in clashes with security forces after hundreds of thousands of supporters of Mousavi and other defeated candidates poured on to the streets of Tehran to protest the June 12 poll results.

"It is unprecedented for anyone to seeks permission for a memorial from the interior ministry unless they are pursuing a political aim," Meshkini said.

"No permit has been issued to those groups and or to people who disobey the law, disrespect the rules of defeat and do not accept the majority's vote and yet seek a permit for gathering," he said referring to Mousavi and Karroubi.

The opposition has charged the election was massively rigged and called for a re-run in defiance of the supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei who has dismissed the fraud allegations and strongly backed Ahmadinejad.

In a key speech after week-long mass protests Khamenei called for an end for street rallies and warned the opposition leaders would be held responsible for violence and bloodshed.

The authorities have banned all unauthorised gatherings and barred foreign media from covering them.

The organisers said the ceremony was planned to be held in central Tehran's Grand Mosalla prayer venue would have no speeches and participants were expected to pay their respects in silence.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

New sanctions against Iran likely soon

AP: The U.N. Security Council will approve new sanctions...

Iran ‘negotiating swap of Repsol, Shell gas projects’

AFP: Iran is negotiating with Spanish and British-Dutch energy...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you