Iran General NewsFrance demands release of Iranian filmmaker

France demands release of Iranian filmmaker

-

AFP: France on Wednesday called on Iran to immediately release jailed filmmaker Jafar Panahi and allow him to take his seat as a member of the jury at the Cannes film festival.

 

PARIS (AFP) — France on Wednesday called on Iran to immediately release jailed filmmaker Jafar Panahi and allow him to take his seat as a member of the jury at the Cannes film festival.

“He is one of the most eminent representatives of Iranian film and his place is at the festival where he has been invited as a member of the jury,” said Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner and Culture Minister Frederic Mitterrand in a joint statement.

Panahi, 49, has been held in Tehran’s notorious Evin prison since March 1, when he was arrested by Iranian authorities, reportedly because he was making a film about the disputed 2009 presidential election.

“We call for his immediate release and urge the Tehran authorities to respect the fundamental right of Iranians to freedom of expression and creativity,” the ministers added.

The appeal came on the opening day of the Cannes film festival, with the jury led by US director Tim Burton set to award the coveted Palme d’Or prize on May 23rd at the gala in the southern Riviera resort.

Panahi is known for his gritty, socially critical movies such as “The Circle,” which clinched the 2000 Venice Golden Lion award, “Crimson Gold” and “Offside,” winner of the 2006 Silver Bear at the Berlin film festival.

In February he was banned from attending the Berlin film festival.

Iran’s culture minister said last month Panahi had been arrested for making an anti-regime film.

His plight has drawn appeals from the US film world and beyond.

Hollywood heavyweights Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Robert Redford, Francis Ford Coppola, Joel and Ethan Coen, Ang Lee, Michael Moore and Oliver Stone signed a petition earlier this month demanding his release.

On Tuesday, Amnesty International called on Tehran to allow Panahi to go to Cannes, saying “an empty chair at the Cannes Film Festival… will highlight the folly and injustice of Iran’s crackdown on those who have peacefully criticised the government.”

In a signed letter released by the Iranian ILNA news agency in March, 50 Iranian filmmakers and artists called for Panahi to be set free.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

PM deploys soldiers to Baghdad streets

AP: Iraq's prime minister launched the biggest security crackdown...

Muslim students ‘being taught to despise unbelievers as filth’

The Times: Muslim students training to be imams at...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you