Iran General NewsBritish human rights lawyer blasts report on Iranian group

British human rights lawyer blasts report on Iranian group

-

Iran Focus: London, May 22 – A prominent Human Rights lawyer in the United Kingdom levelled serious accusations against U.S.-based Human Rights Watch for a report published on the Iranian opposition People’s Mojahedin, calling the paper “baseless and unsubstantiated”. Malcolm Fowler, a member of the International Human Rights Committee and Law Reform Board of the Law Society of England and Wales, said in a letter addressed to Human Rights Watch, “The content of the … Iran Focus

London, May 22 – A prominent Human Rights lawyer in the United Kingdom levelled serious accusations against U.S.-based Human Rights Watch for a report published on the Iranian opposition People’s Mojahedin, calling the paper “baseless and unsubstantiated”.

Malcolm Fowler, a member of the International Human Rights Committee and Law Reform Board of the Law Society of England and Wales, said in a letter addressed to Human Rights Watch, “The content of the baseless and unsubstantiated allegations made by those interviewed did not surprise me, as I have read their allegations and the Iranian Mojahedin’s responses in various publications before. However, what concerned me was the fact that Human Rights Watch decided to publish such a report without carrying out the most basic checks to ensure the accuracy and truth of the testimonies provided and without giving the Iranian Mojahedin an opportunity to respond”.

“As a human rights organisation, you must understand that your failure to afford the Iranian Mojahedin an opportunity to respond to the appalling allegations made against them shows your utter disregard for general principles of fairness and justice. It would be akin in a criminal trial to a Judge hearing the evidence of the prosecution and accepting its case without any scrutiny whatsoever, writing his judgment and publishing it, leaving the Defendant who did not even know that he was ever on trial to find out through the media that he had been found guilty”, he said, referring to the 28-page report based on testimonies of 12 ex-members.

Fowler stated that the conclusions reached after 12 hours of interviews were in breach of the most basic rights of the Mojahedin as neither the motives of the interviewees were checked nor did HRW give the organisation a chance to respond to the allegations, adding, “In my experience as a criminal advocate, in order to conduct proper interviews of those involved, with the aim of ascertaining the veracity of their stories, the interviews would have needed to be carried out face to face and lasted many hours, if not days. Unfortunately, the methodology used in the report gives the impression of a conclusion being reached and attempts then being made to find information to justify the conclusion”.

“I hope that Human Rights Watch and its officers will find it within themselves to correct the injustice that has been done by withdrawing the report – a report that does nothing but attempt to deflect attention from the crimes of the Iranian government both at home and abroad”, he said.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

Italian Journalist Cecilia Sala Arrested in Tehran: Mystery Surrounds Detention

The Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced the arrest...

Canada to use its G8 presidency to press for Iran sanctions: PM

AFP: Canada will use its G8 presidency to press...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you