Iran General NewsUS, EU threaten further measures against Iran

US, EU threaten further measures against Iran

-

AFP: The United States and the European Union threatened “additional measures” against Iran on Monday over its suspect nuclear activities and reiterated that it must address international concerns.

WASHINGTON (AFP) — The United States and the European Union threatened “additional measures” against Iran on Monday over its suspect nuclear activities and reiterated that it must address international concerns.

Britain, Canada and the United States slapped sanctions last week on Iran’s financial, petrochemical and energy sectors, and the European Union is expected to follow suit after the bloc’s foreign ministers meet on Thursday.

The fresh wave of sanctions follow a report by the UN atomic energy watchdog — dismissed as baseless by Iran — that strongly suggests Tehran is researching nuclear weapons.

After a US-EU summit in Washington on Monday, Washington and Brussels underlined their determination “to work toward a diplomatic solution” to the Iranian nuclear crisis, as speculation grows of a possible Israeli strike.

The US-EU joint statement said they would “consider additional measures given Iran’s continued failure to abide by its international obligations.”

The West accuses Iran of seeking a nuclear bomb, a charge the Islamic republic has repeatedly denied.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad hit back on Saturday at the new raft of Western sanctions, saying: “They keep making it more difficult for them to negotiate with us.”

Iran is already subject to four sets of UN sanctions designed to pressure it to halt its uranium enrichment activities, as well as the unilateral Western sanctions.

Russia and China have slammed the latest Western sanctions, calling them illegal and a barrier to resuming stalled negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program.

Iran’s parliament voted on Sunday to expel the British ambassador in retaliation and warned that other countries could also be punished.

The US-EU joint statement also noted a recent alleged plot by Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard to assassinate the Saudi envoy to Washington, and stressed “our determination to ensure the perpetrators and their accomplices are held to account.”

Latest news

Canadian Federal Court Rejects Salman Samani’s Request to Halt Deportation

The Federal Court of Canada has rejected Salman Samani's request to halt his deportation from Canada. Samani served as...

Middle Eastern Countries Seek Ways to Move Oil Through the Strait of Hormuz

An Iraqi government source told the Iraqi news outlet Shafagh News that Iraq's State Oil Marketing Organization (SOMO) is...

Iran’s Regime Plans Fuel Rationing, Higher Gasoline Prices Within Next 15 Days

Esmail Saghab-Esfahani, a vice president of Iran's regime, said on Saturday, August 15, that Iran's daily gasoline consumption is...

Iranian Regime Drone Attack on Office of Prime Minister of Kurdistan Region of Iraq

Masrour Barzani, Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, announced that his private office and the residence of...

Iran’s Regime is Rebuilding the Security Circle Around Mojtaba Khamenei with New Security Figure

The return of Hossein Taeb to the Iranian regime's security structures, at a time when the balance of power...

Ship Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Has Nearly Come to a Halt After Tanker Attacks

Reuters, citing data from maritime tracking company Kpler, reported that commercial ship traffic through the international Strait of Hormuz...

Must read

UK says “100 percent focused” on diplomacy over Iran

Reuters: Britain is "100 percent focused" on a diplomatic...

Iran pressured over new plant

Washington Post: At talks scheduled for Thursday in...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you