Iran General NewsTehran's foreign schools shut after embassy attack

Tehran’s foreign schools shut after embassy attack

-

Reuters: International schools in Iran have shut their doors after hardline students stormed the British embassy last week, stoking ordinary Iranians’ fears that foreigners are about to pull out of the Islamic Republic ahead of a U.S. or Israeli-led attack.

By Parisa Hafezi

TEHRAN (Reuters) – International schools in Iran have shut their doors after hardline students stormed the British embassy last week, stoking ordinary Iranians’ fears that foreigners are about to pull out of the Islamic Republic ahead of a U.S. or Israeli-led attack.

Protesters stormed and ransacked Britain’s two diplomatic compounds in Tehran on Tuesday, prompting Britain to evacuate its staff from the country and expel Iranian diplomats from London.

The French school in Tehran is located on British embassy grounds and children were in class when the mob swarmed through the compound gates. Windows at the German school nearby were shattered in the attack, but the British school escaped the worst of the chaos after teachers sent pupils home early.

The schools have remained shut since, forcing hundreds of children to stay home. Foreign teachers and their families have left Iran, parents were told, though the French school hopes to resume lessons on Sunday, and Britain’s in the New Year.

“Where can I send my kids in the middle of the school year … who is going to take care of them when I cannot leave my job in Iran?” asked a single mother with two children at the French school, which has 256 Iranian and foreign students.

Several European countries have recalled their ambassadors from Iran. The British embassy attack was triggered when London imposed financial sanctions after a U.N. report suggested Iran was pursuing nuclear weapons.

Britain says Tehran supported the attack, which has pushed ties to their lowest ebb since Iran severed diplomatic relations in 1989 over the publication of Salman Rushdie’s book ‘The Satanic Verses’.

Iran’s isolation over its nuclear ambitions, its claim to have shot down a U.S. spy drone in its airspace on Sunday and the British embassy attack are feeding ordinary Iranians’ fears.

“Many foreigners are leaving Iran … I suspect that there will be military action … we will become another Iraq,” said architect Mahsa Sedri, 35. “Obviously something is going on … otherwise the foreigners would not leave Iran.”

Washington and Israel have not ruled out military action against Iranian nuclear facilities should diplomacy fail to resolve the dispute over Iran’s nuclear programme, a position that has only hardened since the critical report by the International Atomic Energy Agency last month.

“We are going to be attacked … I sense it … I am pulling out my money from the bank to have cash in hand in case of an attack,” said government employee Hassan Vosughi. “I and all my friends have stockpiled goods at home.”

(Writing by Parisa Hafezi; Editing by Ben Harding)

 

Latest news

Ship Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Has Nearly Come to a Halt After Tanker Attacks

Reuters, citing data from maritime tracking company Kpler, reported that commercial ship traffic through the international Strait of Hormuz...

Execution of Shahram Sadeghi, a Protester from Iran’s January Uprising

The Iranian regime's Judiciary announced on the morning of Sunday, August 16, that Shahram Sadeghi had been executed. He...

Iran’s Healthcare Services in Crisis with Shortage of 100,000 Nurses

The shortage of 100,000 nurses in Iran's healthcare system has now become one of the most serious crises facing...

Spanish Daily El Debate: Inside Iran, an Organized Resistance Endures Against the Regime’s Wartime Crackdown

In an analytical report published by the Spanish daily El Debate, Firouz Mahvi, Political Director of the Brussels office...

Political Prisoner Denied Treatment in Greater Tehran Prison

The physical condition of Hamid Haj-Jafar Kashani, a political prisoner held in Tehran Great Prison, has reportedly become concerned...

Iran’s Regime Cuts Food Voucher Benefits Under ‘Overseas Resident’ Label

In its latest move against low-income segments of society, the Iranian regime has suspended food voucher benefits for a...

Must read

Iran nuclear plant launch unrelated to sanctions: Russia

AFP: Iran's launch of a Russian-built nuclear power plant...

Argentina says Iran committed to probing 1994 bombing

Reuters: Iran has approved a deal with Argentina to...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you