Iran General NewsUK government says Iran blocked its website

UK government says Iran blocked its website

-

Reuters: Britain, which closed its embassy in Tehran last month after it was ransacked by protesters, said on Thursday that Iranian authorities had blocked its website aimed at Iran.

LONDON (Reuters) – Britain, which closed its embassy in Tehran last month after it was ransacked by protesters, said on Thursday that Iranian authorities had blocked its website aimed at Iran.

The move creates further tension between the two countries that regularly clash over Iran’s nuclear program.

Britain’s Foreign Office said Iranian authorities had barred access to a Foreign Office website, “UK in Iran” ukiniran.fco.gov.uk/,

that carries information on British government policies and statements, including criticism of Iran’s human rights record.

It said the website had been added to thousands of other Internet sites censored by Iranian authorities.

No comment was immediately available from Iran.

“This action is counter-productive and ill-judged. It will confirm to the Iranian people that their government is determined to block their access to information, and to conceal from them the international community’s legitimate concerns about Iran’s policies and behavior,” Foreign Secretary William Hague said in a statement.

“It will also make it harder for Iranian nationals to access information about visiting the UK. And it is further proof to the rest of the world (of) the Iranian government’s dire record on freedom of speech and human rights in general,” he said.

“This action will not deter Britain from continuing to engage with the Iranian people, including through the Internet.”

Britain is one of six powers that have been dealing with Iran over its nuclear program, which the West suspects is aimed at developing a nuclear weapon. Tehran insists its activities are peaceful.

Britain closed its embassy in Tehran and evacuated its staff last month after Iranian protesters ransacked offices and burned British flags in a protest over sanctions imposed by Britain.

Hague ordered the closure of Iran’s embassy in London and expelled all its diplomats, saying the assault on the British embassy could not have happened without consent from Iranian authorities.

Iran warned then that Britain’s closure of its embassy in London would lead to further retaliation.

The British embassy in Tehran was stormed days after London ordered British financial institutions to stop doing business with their Iranian counterparts or with the central bank of Iran.

EU foreign ministers are set to consider further sanctions against Iran, possibly including an oil embargo, next month.

(Reporting by Adrian Croft)

Latest news

Execution of Shahram Sadeghi, a Protester from Iran’s January Uprising

The Iranian regime's Judiciary announced on the morning of Sunday, August 16, that Shahram Sadeghi had been executed. He...

Iran’s Healthcare Services in Crisis with Shortage of 100,000 Nurses

The shortage of 100,000 nurses in Iran's healthcare system has now become one of the most serious crises facing...

Spanish Daily El Debate: Inside Iran, an Organized Resistance Endures Against the Regime’s Wartime Crackdown

In an analytical report published by the Spanish daily El Debate, Firouz Mahvi, Political Director of the Brussels office...

Political Prisoner Denied Treatment in Greater Tehran Prison

The physical condition of Hamid Haj-Jafar Kashani, a political prisoner held in Tehran Great Prison, has reportedly become concerned...

Iran’s Regime Cuts Food Voucher Benefits Under ‘Overseas Resident’ Label

In its latest move against low-income segments of society, the Iranian regime has suspended food voucher benefits for a...

Canada Sanctions Five Political and Military Officials of the Iranian Regime

The Canadian government announced on Friday, August 14, that it had imposed sanctions on five military and political officials...

Must read

Tense standoff at Tehran University following weekend demos

Iran Focus: Tehran, Jun. 15 – Following unrest in...

Iranian pilots killed in F-5 Phantom fighter crash near Iraq border

AP:  A news agency reports an Iranian F-5 fighter...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you