Iran General NewsIran says new US sanctions could affect talks

Iran says new US sanctions could affect talks

-

AFP: Iran on Tuesday warned that new US sanctions targeting its access to surveillance technology were “negative” and could adversely affect its crucial talks next month with world powers over Tehran’s nuclear programme.

TEHRAN (AFP) — Iran on Tuesday warned that new US sanctions targeting its access to surveillance technology were “negative” and could adversely affect its crucial talks next month with world powers over Tehran’s nuclear programme.

“We consider any kind of sanction as negative and a wrong step,” foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said in his weekly briefing.

“Any decision by Western officials, including the Americans, can affect the atmosphere of talks,” he said.

Mehmanparast was reacting to measures announced by US President Barack Obama on Monday aimed at preventing Iran, and its chief ally Syria, from acquiring surveillance software and monitoring equipment to control its population.

The extra sanction targets companies that help Tehran create systems to track or monitor people to help violent repression.

Obama’s executive order was announced ahead of May 23 talks to be held in Baghdad between Iran and the so-called P5+1 group comprising the United States, Russia, China, France, Britain and Germany.

Iran and the P5+1 met in Istanbul on April 14 to revive talks that had been stalled for 15 months, and agreed to hold the more substantive round of negotiations in the Iraqi capital.

The new US measures add to a series of unilateral Western sanctions against Tehran over its nuclear activities.

The UN Security Council has also imposed four rounds of multilateral sanctions.

Iran denies Western allegations its nuclear programme has a military component to develop atomic weapons. It has made the lifting of the sanctions a key demand in the nuclear talks.

“We believe the lifting of illegal sanctions (against Iran) could be a positive step in the right direction for the continuation of cooperation in the next round talks with the P5+1 group,” Mehmanparast said.

He said Iran was going into the talks with a “positive outlook”.

Latest news

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Must read

Iran FM says will not scrap Arak reactor

AFP: Iran is pinning its hopes on the success of...

Miliband urges Iran to seize chance of better relations

AFP: Foreign Secretary David Miliband urged Iran on Saturday...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you