Iran General NewsIran's leader: Punishment for Syria massacre

Iran’s leader: Punishment for Syria massacre

-

AP: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says that those responsible for last week’s massacre of more than 100 people in Syria should be punished, in unusually harsh criticism from a staunch ally. The Associated Press

PARIS (AP) — Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says that those responsible for last week’s massacre of more than 100 people in Syria should be punished, in unusually harsh criticism from a staunch ally.

U.N. investigators have blamed pro-regime gunmen for at least some of the carnage in Houla, saying men in civilian clothes gunned down people in the streets and stabbed women and children in their homes. The Syrian government denied its troops were behind the killings and blamed “armed terrorists.”

Ahmadinejad declined to say in an interview Wednesday with the France 24 television station who he believed was behind the attack, but added: “It seems unbelievable to me that a government would engage in killing its own people …. (but) I’m not excluding anyone from this responsibility,” he said.

“We (in Iran) are quite disappointed about this,” Ahmadinejad said from Tehran through a translator. “Any individual who committed these murders is guilty … The people responsible for this massacre must be punished, must be sanctioned.”

The United States and Western nations expelled Syrian diplomats in protest — a move Syria’s state-run media denounced Wednesday as “unprecedented hysteria.”

Ahmadinejad said the West should not “should not exploit” the crisis in Syria, saying that because it is clear Western governments are opposed to Syrian leader Bashar Assad, “we cannot trust what they say.”

Separately, the Iranian leader insisted that the West and Iran must both “work hand in hand” in negotiations over its nuclear program, saying “we fully expect to see a change in … approach and a constructive agreement.”

The West is concerned that Iran’s production of 20-percent enrichment could quickly be turned into nuclear weapons-grade material, but Iran maintains it won’t back down, insisting it is for peaceful purposes.

Iran’s objected last week at a meeting with world powers in Baghdad to a proposal to suspend 20 percent enrichment in exchange for a U.S.-supported package that would include supplying Iran with radioactive material and civilian plane spare parts. Iran seeks to have a Western oil embargo and banking sanctions eased before considering suspending enrichment.

Negotiators must explain why “what they are willing to give the Iranian people in exchange,” he said.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

UN’s Ban Ki-moon denounces juvenile executions in Iran

Iran Focus New York, 20 Oct - The United...

Iran steps up pressure on EU in nuke talks-diplomats

Reuters: Iran is ratcheting up the pressure on EU...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you