Iran General NewsTrial of Iranians on explosives charges starts in Nairobi

Trial of Iranians on explosives charges starts in Nairobi

-

AFP: The trial of two Iranians charged with possession of explosives allegedly destined to be used in bomb attacks in Kenya began Monday in a Nairobi court.
NAIROBI (AFP)— The trial of two Iranians charged with possession of explosives allegedly destined to be used in bomb attacks in Kenya began Monday in a Nairobi court.

Ahmed Mohammed and Sayed Mansour, who were arrested in June and charged with suspected links to a terror network planning bombings in Mombasa and Nairobi, are accused of possessing 15 kilos (33 pounds) of the powerful explosive RDX.

Both men have denied the charges.

Lead defence lawyer Karathe Wandugi alleged Monday that the suspects had been interrogated by Israeli security officers during their time in detention in Kenya.

A prosecution witness denied that Israeli agents had been involved in interrogating the two.

“We are well capable of handling our own investigations. At no time did we invite anyone outside Kenya’s security forces to interrogate the suspects,” Kennedy Musyoki, one of the officers investigating the case, told the court.

Shortly after Mohammed and Mansour were charged earlier this month, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Iran was plotting attacks against Israel in Kenya. “Iranian terrorism knows no borders,” he said.

The allegation came after the US last year said Iran had plotted to assassinate the Saudi Arabian ambassador to the United States.

“After Iran sent its agents to murder the Saudi ambassador on US soil, the country has engaged in attacks in Azerbaijan, Bangkok, in Tbilisi, in New Delhi, and now we have just discovered a plot for a terrorist attack in Africa,” Netanyahu had said.

Israel blamed Iran for a suicide attack on Israeli tourists that claimed six vicitms in Bulgaria last week.

The trial, which was conducted in English with the two accused speaking via an interpreter, continues Tuesday.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Britain issues new warning to Iran, Hezbollah

AFP: British Defence Secretary John Reid issued a new...

Iran pouring foundation for heavy-water nuclear reactor – diplomats

AFP: Iran is pouring the concrete foundation for a...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you