Iran General NewsIran touts domestic Internet as Gmail ban rankles

Iran touts domestic Internet as Gmail ban rankles

-

AP: Iranian officials announced that they would soon introduce local alternatives to Google and its Gmail e-mail service, even as the country’s media and even some officials stepped up complaints over Tehran’s decision to enact a ban on Gmail. The Associated Press

TEHRAN (AP) — Iranian officials announced that they would soon introduce local alternatives to Google and its Gmail e-mail service, even as the country’s media and even some officials stepped up complaints over Tehran’s decision to enact a ban on Gmail in response to an anti-Islam film, newspapers reported on Sunday.

Last week, Iran blocked Gmail — but not the search engine of the parent company Google — in response to a court order linked to the distribution of a low-budget, U.S.-produced film on YouTube, also owned by Google.

In a country with 32 million Internet users out of a population of 75 million, according to official statistics, that ban has caused widespread resentment. Even many pro-government newspapers have complained of the disruptions.

“Some problems have emerged through the blocking of Gmail,” Hussein Garrousi, a member of a parliamentary committee on industry, was quoted Sunday by the independent Aftab daily as saying. He said that parliament would summon the minister of telecommunications for questioning if the ban was not lifted.

The deputy minister, Ali Hakim Javadi, told reporters that Iranian authorities were considering lifting the Gmail ban, but also wanted to introduce their own domestic alternatives: the Fakhr (“Pride”) search engine and the Fajr (“Dawn”) e-mail services, Aftab reported.

Iran’s clerical establishment has long signaled its intent to get citizens off of the international Internet, which they say promotes Western values, and onto a “national” and “clean” domestic network. But it is unclear whether Iran has the technical capacity to follow through on its ambitious plans, or is willing to risk the economic damage.

Bans on Gmail and other services like YouTube and Facebook have left Internet users scrambling to find ways to bypass the blocks.

On Saturday, Asr-e Ertebat weekly reported that Iranians had paid a total of 4.5 million US dollars to purchase proxy services to reach blocked sites over the past month.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran seen drawing fewest tankers since October as sanctions loom

Bloomberg: The fewest supertankers in at least eight months...

Clinton: Iran nuclear fuel swap offer is ‘ploy’

AP: U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton says...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you