Iran General NewsIran warns of cancelling $5 bn China gas deal:...

Iran warns of cancelling $5 bn China gas deal: media

-

AFP: Iran has warned China it could cancel a much-delayed $5-billion offshore gas exploration contract in the Gulf, a news agency said on Monday. TEHRAN (AFP) — Iran has warned China it could cancel a much-delayed $5-billion offshore gas exploration contract in the Gulf, a news agency said on Monday.

“There is a possibility of cancelling the contract” signed in 2009 to develop the South Pars gas field — which holds around eight percent of the world’s gas reserves — Mehr news quoted oil ministry spokesman Alireza Nikzad as saying.

China has for years aimed to strengthen its economic relationship with sanctions-hit Iran, by filling the investment void left by departing Western companies.

But Iran has accused China of failing to fulfil its commitment and delaying its contractual obligations.

South Pars, a huge offshore natural gas field shared between Iran and Qatar, holds around 14 trillion cubic metres of gas, and Iran plans to use the “phase 11” project to fill its first-ever liquefied natural gas plant.

Mehr named China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC), the Asian giant’s largest oil and gas producer and supplier, as the company contracted for the project.

Iran suspended a $16-billion contract with China last year for the North Pars gas field, saying the decision to let the Chinese develop North Pars rested on their effectiveness in developing South Pars.

Nikzad said that should the South Pars contract be cancelled, the development of the offshore gas field would be handed over to Iranian contractors.

“The Chinese side has stated it is not inclined to be part of the project’s development,” citing the “high risk” involved in offshore exploration, Nikzad added.

He said that a deal for another gas field would instead be discussed “in the near future,” without giving any details.

Major Western companies that had been operating in South Pars, among them France’s Total and Anglo-Dutch giant Shell, withdrew from Iran between 2007 and 2010 after international sanctions were imposed over Tehran’s controversial nuclear programme.

Iran, which has the world’s second-largest natural gas reserves after Russia, claims it is able to develop South Pars on its own by giving many of the projects to companies affiliated to its elite Revolutionary Guards.

Latest news

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

Must read

Classified Letters Reveal Iranian Regime’s Secret Security Budgets

On June 26, a dissident group called “Ghiam ta...

Kerry: Failure to act on Syria would embolden Iran

AFP: US Secretary of State John Kerry declared Friday...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you