Iran General NewsIran denies officials to be quizzed over Argentina bomb

Iran denies officials to be quizzed over Argentina bomb

-

Reuters: Iran denied on Tuesday it had agreed to allow international investigators to question Tehran officials over the 1994 bombing of a Jewish community centre in Buenos Aires as part of a plan to form a truth commission. DUBAI (Reuters) – Iran denied on Tuesday it had agreed to allow international investigators to question Tehran officials over the 1994 bombing of a Jewish community centre in Buenos Aires as part of a plan to form a truth commission.

Israel and world Jewish groups have denounced the pact which is seen as running counter to U.S.-led efforts to isolate Iran over its disputed nuclear program.

Argentinian authorities secured Interpol arrest warrants in 2007 for five Iranians and a Lebanese for the killing of 85 people in the Argentinian Jewish centre (AMIA).

Iran denies any link to the attack.

Argentina said last month it had agreed with Iran to establish a “truth commission” made up of five foreign legal experts to review all the relevant documentations of the attack, which Argentine courts accuse Tehran of sponsoring.

Iran’s foreign minister said on Tuesday his country was committed to the accord.

“We have signed a memorandum of understanding with Argentina to resolve the AMIA case and both sides are committed to its contents,” the official IRNA news agency quoted Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi as saying during a visit in Moscow. “This MOU sets the base for our handling of the AMIA file,” he said.

Argentinian President Cristina Fernandez, who has close ties with other Latin American leaders who are on good terms with Tehran, such as Venezuela’s Hugo Chavez, has hailed the agreement as historic.

According to a document posted on Fernandez’s Facebook page, the agreement plans for Argentine legal officials to meet in Tehran to question “those people for whom Interpol has issued a red notice”.

Iranian Defence Minister Ahmad Vahidi is among the Iranian officials sought by Argentina, which is home to Latin America’s largest Jewish community.

But Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast denied Iranian officials would be questioned over the bombing.

“This report is a lie,” Mehmanparast told a news conference in Tehran reported by the Iranian Students’ News Agency (ISNA).

Julian Dominguez, the head of the lower house of Congress and a government ally, said senators would start analyzing the bill containing details of the accord on Wednesday.

Julio Schlosser, president of Argentina’s DAIA Jewish community group, said Iran’s refusal to allow its officials to be questioned was predictable.

“This is what we expected from the start. We said that Iran was not a reliable negotiator,” Schlosser told local radio. “This is the cherry on a cake that we refused to eat. The outcome was already clear,” he said.

Argentinian officials were not immediately available to comment on the statement by Mehmanparast.

(Reporting by Zahra Hosseinian and Helen Popper; Editing by Jon Hemming)

Latest news

Canadian Federal Court Rejects Salman Samani’s Request to Halt Deportation

The Federal Court of Canada has rejected Salman Samani's request to halt his deportation from Canada. Samani served as...

Middle Eastern Countries Seek Ways to Move Oil Through the Strait of Hormuz

An Iraqi government source told the Iraqi news outlet Shafagh News that Iraq's State Oil Marketing Organization (SOMO) is...

Iran’s Regime Plans Fuel Rationing, Higher Gasoline Prices Within Next 15 Days

Esmail Saghab-Esfahani, a vice president of Iran's regime, said on Saturday, August 15, that Iran's daily gasoline consumption is...

Iranian Regime Drone Attack on Office of Prime Minister of Kurdistan Region of Iraq

Masrour Barzani, Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, announced that his private office and the residence of...

Iran’s Regime is Rebuilding the Security Circle Around Mojtaba Khamenei with New Security Figure

The return of Hossein Taeb to the Iranian regime's security structures, at a time when the balance of power...

Ship Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Has Nearly Come to a Halt After Tanker Attacks

Reuters, citing data from maritime tracking company Kpler, reported that commercial ship traffic through the international Strait of Hormuz...

Must read

Hunger strike in Iran prison enters third week

Iran Focus: Tehran, Feb. 17 - A hunger strike...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you