Iran General NewsUK MPs demand Ban Ki Moon sack Martin Kobler...

UK MPs demand Ban Ki Moon sack Martin Kobler after bogus presentation

-

News Blaze: The British Parliamentary Committee for Iran Freedom issued a press release Monday, with a demand that Martin Kobler, the Special Representative to UN Secretary General, Ban Ki Moon, be sacked.

News Blaze

By Alan Gray

The British Parliamentary Committee for Iran Freedom issued a press release Monday, with a demand that Martin Kobler, the Special Representative to UN Secretary General, Ban Ki Moon, be sacked.

Martin Kobler has been a controversial figure over the past few years, involved with the Iranian refugees in Camp Ashraf, and later in Camp Liberty, Iraq.

Kobler has always appeared to side with the enemies of the refugees, and there are many who say he caused or at least set the conditions for many deaths, at the hands of their enemy, Iran, and their agents, the current Maliki government of Iraq.
Bogus Presentation By Kobler

In the most recent event, on 29 May, 2013, Martin Kobler made what The British Parliamentary Committee says was a “bogus presentation” concerning the security situation of the Iranian refugees in Camp Liberty, Iraq, in a meeting at the European Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee in Brussels.

In his presentation at the European Parliament, to the Foreign Affairs Committee, Kobler claimed that the leadership of the Iranian opposition (PMOI) prevented its members in Camp Liberty, Iraq, from speaking with UN monitors. Kobler also claimed that the PMOI leadership in Paris refused to cooperate with the United Nations.

Even though the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention described Camp Liberty (also called Camp Hurriya) as a “prison,” on two occasions in the past year, Mr. Kobler reported that Camp Liberty met international humanitarian standards.

Kobler has refused to press Iraq to grant freedom of movement to the residents and to allow international access to the camp, and he has even praised the Iraqi government for suppressing the residents.

Who Is Kobler Working For?

Although Martin Kobler is supposedly working for the United Nations, he acts as though he is on the payroll of the Iraqi and Iranian governments. This has allowed Maliki’s government, possibly acting as a puppet of Iran, to prevent Liberty residents from transferring most of their communications tools, such as mobile phones, from Camp Ashraf. Neither Kobler nor the UNAMI organization made a public appeal to Iraq to allow the transfer.

The government of Iraq has caused many hardships for the refugees, stealing their equipment and vehicles, preventing access to medical care, access to their lawyers and engaging in harassment by day and night noise. Many of those incidents were reported by Shahriar Kia, Political Analyst.
Calls For Ban Ki Moon’s Action

There have been many calls to UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon regarding Martin Kobler’s conduct in handling matters related to the MEK refugees, but he has never taken any action, leading to the thought that Ban Ki Moon approves of Kobler’s harassment.

Here is the press release issued by the committee BPCIF, which is chaired by Mr David Amess, Conservative MP for Southend West in the British House of Commons.

*MPs demand UN Secretary General sack Iraq envoy Martin Kobler*

All-Party MPs and Peers from the British Parliamentary Committee for Iran Freedom on Monday strongly condemned the bogus presentation at the European Parliament last week by the United Nations envoy in Iraq Martin Kobler and urged the UN Secretary General to dismiss him.

Mr Kobler, the Special Representative of the Secretary General (SRSG), told MEPs on 29 May that the leadership of the Iranian opposition PMOI had prevented its members in Camp Liberty, Iraq, from speaking with UN monitors. Addressing a meeting of the European Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee in Brussels, Mr. Kobler further claimed that the PMOI leadership in Paris was refusing to cooperate with the UN.

These outrageous lies were met with strong condemnation and rebuke from MEPs at the meeting, with calls for the UN Secretary General to fire Mr. Kobler.

Mr. Kobler failed to address the pressing and immediate issue of the residents’ security at Camp Liberty in light of the repeated and deadly rocket attacks on the residents in recent months. And he offered no convincing answer as to why Iraq was denying the residents the right to transfer their hard hats and protective vests from Camp Ashraf.

Contrary to Mr. Kobler’s claim that Liberty met international humanitarian standards, the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention has twice in the past year described the camp as a “prison.”

The Government of Iraq (GoI) does not allow the residents to leave the camp, nor does it allow their relatives, lawyers, MPs and journalists from entering the camp. Mr. Kobler has refused to press Iraq to grant freedom of movement to the residents and international access to the camp. On the contrary he has continuously praised the Iraqi government suppressive measures against the residents.

While Mr. Kobler claims that the PMOI leadership is failing to inform the camp residents of their future options, in fact the GoI has for more than a year prevented the residents from transferring most of their communications tools, such as mobile phones, to Camp Liberty. UNAMI, under the leadership of Mr. Kobler, has failed to make any public appeal to Iraq to lift this bar.

Contrary to Mr. Kobler’s bogus claims that UNAMI monitors have been restricted from speaking to Liberty residents, the UN has in recent months conducted hundreds of private interviews with the residents.

The UN must publicly demand of Iraq to lift its restriction on MPs and journalists wanting to visit Camp Liberty.

According to Iranian state-media, Mr. Kobler has discussed the future of Liberty residents with Iranian officials in his visit to Tehran, in violation of the rights of refugees under international law. Mr. Kobler has never publicly denied these reports.

Members of our cross-Party committee support the call on UN Secretary Ban Ki-Moon to sack SRSG Martin Kobler and appoint a specialist committee to investigate his conduct. We further demand that Camp Liberty residents be urgently returned to Camp Ashraf, their original home, which is 80 times larger and where their security against rocket attacks can be better guaranteed.

British Parliamentary Committee for Iran Freedom 3 June 2013

Alan Gray is the publisher of NewsBlaze, the independent online newspaper for thinking people. Read more stories by Alan Gray.

 

Latest news

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Iran’s ‘No to Execution Tuesdays’ campaign marks 121st week

The “No to Execution Tuesdays” campaign entered its 121st week on Tuesday, May 19. Prisoners participating in the campaign...

Massive Washington Rally Highlights Growing Pressure on Iran’s Regime

Thousands of Iranian Americans, political activists, and former U.S. officials gathered in Washington, D.C. on May 16 for one...

French Magazine Exposes ‘Shah-Making Factory’: Fascist Networks and Lobbies Grooming the Shah’s Son as an Alternative to the Iranian Regime

The renowned French magazine Nouvel Observateur has published a comprehensive investigation by Marie Vaton exposing the hidden mechanisms of...

Iraqi Militia Commander Arrested Over Alleged Plotting of Terrorist Attacks in the U.S. and Europe

An Iraqi militia commander has been arrested on charges of involvement in planning more than 12 “terrorist” attacks in...

Must read

Iranian Nobel laureate’s home broken into twice

AFP: The door to Iranian Nobel laureate Shirin Ebadi's...

Iran plotting to groom bin Laden’s successor

Daily Telegraph: Iran is trying to form an unholy...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you