Iran General NewsMP for Hendon calls for release of Iranian hostages

MP for Hendon calls for release of Iranian hostages

-

Hendon Times: The MP for Hendon gave flowers to hunger strikers as he gave his support for their ongoing protest to save Iranian hostages in Iraq. Dr Matthew Offord addressed a rally for the release of seven hostages abducted from Camp Ashraf by the Iraqi army last month.
Hendon Times

By Natalie O’Neill

The MP for Hendon gave flowers to hunger strikers as he gave his support for their ongoing protest to save Iranian hostages in Iraq.

Dr Matthew Offord addressed a rally organised by Anglo-Iranians from Barnet who are appealing for the release of seven hostages abducted from Camp Ashraf by the Iraqi army last month.

The hostages, including six women, were taken on September 1, when 52 people were also killed in Camp Ashraf – the temporary base for members of the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI), the principal Iranian opposition movement.

Addressing a 500-strong crowd at Trafalgar Square yesterday, Dr Offord, said: “The UK, EU and all European States ought to seriously downgrade diplomatic and economic ties with the government of Iraq until it releases the seven Ashraf hostages and allows security to be upgraded at Camp Liberty, through the return of T-Walls, protective gear, medical facilities and the construction of double-layer roofs for each of the living quarters in the camp.

“It is time for the West to get tough with Iran’s fundamentalist and terrorist regime.”

The hostages are being kept in an Iraqi prison where they are on hunger strike.
To show their support, Anglo-Iranian’s from Barnet also went on hunger strike on September 1.

Despite being weak from lack of food, many of them who have loved ones in Camp Ashraf, turned out to yesterday’s rally.

Some protesters also took part in street theatre wearing prison uniforms to depict atrocities in Iranian prisons.

There was also a petition for people to sign and photographs of all 52 people who lost their lives in the mass execution in September.

Laila Jazayeri, director of the Association of Anglo-Iranian Women in the UK, said: “Iranian regime wants the hostages extradited back to Iran. If this happens they face torture and execution.

“We call on our government here to intervene to save the lives of these innocent women.

“The Government should stop all financial deals with Iraqi government until these hostages are released and the residents of Liberty are properly protected and the perpetrators of September 1 massacre are brought to justice.”

Latest news

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Must read

Young rappers arrested in Iran

CNN: Police in Tehran have arrested several members of...

Iran’s new Interior Minister “ordered massacre”

Iran Focus: Tehran, Aug. 19 – In a letter...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you