Iran General NewsIranian boy, 10, sues Australian government over immigration detention

Iranian boy, 10, sues Australian government over immigration detention

-

AFP: A 10-year-old Iranian boy launched a landmark legal action against the Australian government Monday, with his lawyers arguing he was psychologically damaged by living in immigration detention camps for more than a year. Through his father Mahommad Saeed Badraie, Shayan Badraie is suing the Immigration Department and two detention centre operators in a case which could open the way for other inmates to claim compensation from the government. AFP

SYDNEY – A 10-year-old Iranian boy launched a landmark legal action against the Australian government Monday, with his lawyers arguing he was psychologically damaged by living in immigration detention camps for more than a year.

Through his father Mahommad Saeed Badraie, Shayan Badraie is suing the Immigration Department and two detention centre operators in a case which could open the way for other inmates to claim compensation from the government.

Lawyer Rebecca Gilsenan said the case before the New South Wales Supreme Court, which will argue the government failed to provide adequate care to Shayan while he was in custody, was the first of its kind.

Shayan and his family arrived in Australia by boat in 2000 and were placed in the Woomera immigration detention centre in South Australia’s desert.

In 2001 the boy was hospitalised eight times, and after 17 months in detention had stopped eating, drinking and speaking, according to reports.

Medical evidence is expected to be produced in court to show Shayan was traumatised by what he experienced while in detention.

Woomera inmates staged violent protests in 2000 and Shayan, who was five at the time, witnessed suicide attempts, rioting and the use of tear gas and watercannons against detainees.

Shayan’s family say that as a result of his detention at Woomera and later at a centre in Sydney, he suffered chronic post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, anxiety and disturbed conduct, The Australian newspaper reported.

Lawyers will argue that Shayan was kept in detention despite pyschiatric advice he was at risk.

“The case will seek to hold the government and detention centre operators accountable for the harm caused to Shayan by his detention and traumatic events he witnessed in the centres,” Gilsenan told AFP.

Australia’s conservative government came under strong criticism for its policy of mandatory detention for asylum-seekers, including children, and was forced to soften its policy earlier this year to stem a backbench revolt.

The Badraie family, which includes a daughter born in detention in 2000, was granted temporary protection visas in August 2002. These visas have now expired and they are applying for new ones which would allow them to remain in Australia.

Latest news

Iran’s New Generation Seeks Nothing but Regime Change

In a silly and desperate statement, the Iranian regime’s foreign minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian claimed that nothing special is going...

Iran’s Youths Broke the Spell of Fear

One of the main characteristics of the recent protests in Iran is the courage and fearlessness of the people,...

Iran Is on the Brink of a Revolution

The wall of fear has been broken. In many cities across Iran, women are taking to the streets, leading...

Iran’s Regime Claims To Fill Global Energy Gap Despite Crippled Petroleum Sector

In recent weeks, the Iranian regime’s officials have been constantly exaggerating their huge capacity in oil and gas reserves...

What Is Happening in Iran?

Following the brutal killing of Masha Amini, the Iranian people have once again united to fight and defeat the...

Iran Regime’s Ministry of Culture’s Decision To Eliminate Children’s Intellectual Centers

With the so-called ‘Cultural Revolution’ which took place between 1980 and 1983, the Iranian regime tried to purge the...

Must read

Obama takes tough line against Iran sanctions to Congress

Reuters: President Barack Obama took his hard line against...

US, Iran diplomats vie for Chinese support in nuclear impasse

AFP: A top US diplomat urged China on Thursday...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you