Iran General NewsTurkcell fails to win Iran mobile stake - official

Turkcell fails to win Iran mobile stake – official

-

Reuters: Turkcell has failed to secure a 49 percent stake in a $2 billion mobile phone deal in Iran, a deputy telecommunications minister was quoted as saying by the ISNA students news agency on Monday. Reuters

TEHRAN – Turkcell has failed to secure a 49 percent stake in a $2 billion mobile phone deal in Iran, a deputy telecommunications minister was quoted as saying by the ISNA students news agency on Monday.

“From the point of view of the ministry and the local partners, the second operatorship is finished with Turkcell,” Vafa Ghaffarian told a conference.

Turkcell had hoped to be be part of the Irancell consortium, seeking to run Iran’s second private GSM network. But many analysts feel the deal is destined for a retender.

Ghaffarian said Iran was pursuing talks with South Africa’s MTN as a replacement for Turkcell.

He said Turkcell had lost heart in the project when parliamentarians stripped it of management rights. It was awarded a controlling 70 percent stake last year, but lawmakers this year slashed that to 49 percent.

“Following the parliamentary bill, Turkcell’s change of attitude was quite visible,” he said.

Parliamentarians argued it was a security risk to allow a foreign firm to control key infrastructure such as telecommunications.

Neither Iran’s telecommunications ministry nor Turkcell was immediately available to comment.

Latest news

Canadian Federal Court Rejects Salman Samani’s Request to Halt Deportation

The Federal Court of Canada has rejected Salman Samani's request to halt his deportation from Canada. Samani served as...

Middle Eastern Countries Seek Ways to Move Oil Through the Strait of Hormuz

An Iraqi government source told the Iraqi news outlet Shafagh News that Iraq's State Oil Marketing Organization (SOMO) is...

Iran’s Regime Plans Fuel Rationing, Higher Gasoline Prices Within Next 15 Days

Esmail Saghab-Esfahani, a vice president of Iran's regime, said on Saturday, August 15, that Iran's daily gasoline consumption is...

Iranian Regime Drone Attack on Office of Prime Minister of Kurdistan Region of Iraq

Masrour Barzani, Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, announced that his private office and the residence of...

Iran’s Regime is Rebuilding the Security Circle Around Mojtaba Khamenei with New Security Figure

The return of Hossein Taeb to the Iranian regime's security structures, at a time when the balance of power...

Ship Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Has Nearly Come to a Halt After Tanker Attacks

Reuters, citing data from maritime tracking company Kpler, reported that commercial ship traffic through the international Strait of Hormuz...

Must read

Iran’s Supreme Leader appoints new air force chief

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Sep. 01 - Iran's Supreme...

Afghan general says Iranian engineers aid Taliban – report

Iran Focus: London, Aug. 20 - An Afghan army...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you