Iran General NewsSaudi envoy rejects Iranian's comments on Holocaust

Saudi envoy rejects Iranian’s comments on Holocaust

-

Washington Post: Prince Turki al-Faisal, Saudi Arabia’s new ambassador to the United States, took issue yesterday with the Iranian president’s description of the Holocaust as a myth, saying the “horrific genocide” is a “historical fact” no longer in dispute. Washington Post

By Glenn Kessler
Washington Post Staff Writer

Page A27

Prince Turki al-Faisal, Saudi Arabia’s new ambassador to the United States, took issue yesterday with the Iranian president’s description of the Holocaust as a myth, saying the “horrific genocide” is a “historical fact” no longer in dispute.

The comments by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, broadcast live Wednesday on state-run Iranian television, have been condemned by Western countries, but Arab and other Muslim nations have remained largely silent. Turki made his comments in response to a question about Ahmadinejad’s remarks during an interview yesterday with Washington Post reporters and editors.

“As far as Saudi Arabia is concerned, that’s a historical fact, you cannot deny that, and people should move forward from that,” Turki said.

The extermination of 6 million Jews by Nazi Germany during World War II “of course has affected our part of the world because much of the European and American sympathy for the Zionist movement stemmed from that horrific genocide,” Turki said. “The occupation of Palestine since then has been a consequence of that.”

Ahmadinejad’s speech expanded on comments he made at a conference of Islamic nations in Saudi Arabia last week, when he suggested that a Jewish state should be carved out of Europe if Europeans felt guilty over the Holocaust. In October, speaking to a conference in Tehran titled “The World Without Zionism,” Ahmadinejad declared that “Israel must be wiped off the map.”

But Turki said the Arab world has “made our peace” with the creation of Israel. He noted that in 2002, the Arab League adopted a Saudi plan that committed Arab nations to a peace process that would result in the creation of Palestine and an acceptance of Israel, including normalization of relations, once it leaves territory occupied after the 1967 Six-Day War.

“It is a done deal for us,” he said. “We are not going to go back on that.”

Separately, Turki said he advocated giving women — who are now banned from driving in the kingdom — the right to obtain driver’s licenses. He noted that the Saudi interior minister said the issue was a social issue, not a religious one, and that King Abdullah has remarked that many women already drive in the desert despite the prohibition.

During a visit to Jiddah in September, Undersecretary of State Karen Hughes caused a stir when she questioned the Saudi ban, telling a crowd of several hundred Saudi women that it had negatively shaped the image of Saudi society in the United States. “I believe women should be free and equal participants in society,” Hughes said.

Turki noted that many Saudi women have said that the driving issue does not rank as high for them as the ability to obtain judicial rights, inheritance rights and equal access to jobs. But he said he felt women who wanted to drive should be able to obtain a license.

Latest news

Execution of Shahram Sadeghi, a Protester from Iran’s January Uprising

The Iranian regime's Judiciary announced on the morning of Sunday, August 16, that Shahram Sadeghi had been executed. He...

Iran’s Healthcare Services in Crisis with Shortage of 100,000 Nurses

The shortage of 100,000 nurses in Iran's healthcare system has now become one of the most serious crises facing...

Spanish Daily El Debate: Inside Iran, an Organized Resistance Endures Against the Regime’s Wartime Crackdown

In an analytical report published by the Spanish daily El Debate, Firouz Mahvi, Political Director of the Brussels office...

Political Prisoner Denied Treatment in Greater Tehran Prison

The physical condition of Hamid Haj-Jafar Kashani, a political prisoner held in Tehran Great Prison, has reportedly become concerned...

Iran’s Regime Cuts Food Voucher Benefits Under ‘Overseas Resident’ Label

In its latest move against low-income segments of society, the Iranian regime has suspended food voucher benefits for a...

Canada Sanctions Five Political and Military Officials of the Iranian Regime

The Canadian government announced on Friday, August 14, that it had imposed sanctions on five military and political officials...

Must read

Rebels kill three agents of Iran paramilitary force

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Nov. 07 – Rebels in...

Iran summons 5 Argentines on security charges

VOA: Iranian media say authorities have summoned five Argentine...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you