Iran General NewsIran: 12 insurgents killed in clashes on Afghan border

Iran: 12 insurgents killed in clashes on Afghan border

-

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Apr. 05 – Iran claimed on Wednesday that its security forces had killed twelve Iranian dissidents belonging to a group that took responsibility for an armed attack in March on a convoy of government officials in Iran’s south-eastern province of Sistan-va-Baluchistan. Iran Focus

Tehran, Iran, Apr. 05 – Iran claimed on Wednesday that its security forces had killed twelve Iranian dissidents belonging to a group that took responsibility for an armed attack in March on a convoy of government officials in Iran’s south-eastern province of Sistan-va-Baluchistan.

The government-run news agency Fars quoted an unnamed government official as saying that Abdolmalek Reigi, the leader of the group calling itself Jondollah, and 11 members of his group were killed in clashes with security forces on Iran’s border with Afghanistan.

Hundreds of people have been arrested in Iran’s south-eastern province of after the ambush on a government convoy carrying dozens of provincial officials in March.

The majority of those arrested were Baluchis, a predominantly Sunni Muslim ethnic minority, who the authorities have claimed have ties to the attackers.

Twenty-two Iranian government and provincial officials were killed and at least seven, including the governor of the city of Zahedan, were critically wounded in the ambush as their convoy was returning from Zabol to Zahedan in the early hours of March 17. A further seven were taken hostage.

Hours after the attack, Iran’s police chief, Brigadier General Ismaeil Ahmadi-Moqaddam, announced there was evidence that the assailants had held meetings with British intelligence officers.

Iran’s Interior Minister also pointed the finger at Britain and the United States for masterminding the attack.

The minister, radical Shiite cleric Mostafa Pour-Mohammadi, also claimed the people behind the attack were the same as those behind a spate of bombings in Iran’s south-western province of Khuzestan earlier this year and in 2005.

“What is clear about the recent events in Zabol and Khuzistan is that those behind the attackers were the same”, Pour-Mohammadi said.

“According to reports received, American and British security officials have had meetings with certain leaders of bandits and have encouraged them to carry out terrorist attacks [in Iran”>”, he said.

Iran has witnessed escalating unrest in recent months in areas populated by Baluchis, who complain of discriminatory and repressive policies by the theocratic regime.

Latest news

Snapback Sanctions, a Must Response to Iran’s Human Rights Abuse and JCPOA Violations

The protests in Iran have been going on for more than two months, even though the regime is cracking...

Growing Disintegration Among Iran Regime’s Forces

Iran has been shaken by a wave of nationwide protests since mid-September. The trigger was the death of the...

Grim Tidings for Iran’s Regime After Approval of UN Fact-Finding Mission

After many discussions and debates, the United Nations Human Rights Council has approved a fact-finding mission to investigate the...

Iranian People’s Resistance Changed the Appeasement Policy

Soon after the new US government started its obligations in January 2021, hand in hand with the European governments...

Khamenei’s Disgraceful Campaign Against Piranshahr and Javanrud, Who Will Be the Loser?

On the 67th day of Iran’s revolution, the Iranian regime attempted to put a halt to the protests in...

Iran: Expensive Medicine, Cheap Human Life

A look at the equipment and weapons that the Iranian regime has been using against its people to suppress...

Must read

Hedge fund’s $100 million bet: Iran will pay for terror attack

Wall Street Journal: A U.S. hedge fund plans to bet...

Bush challenges Karzai on Iran

AFP: US President George W. Bush challenged Monday his...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you