Iran General NewsWhite House rejects direct talks with Iran

White House rejects direct talks with Iran

-

AFP: The White House on Thursday again rejected the idea of one-on-one talks with Iran, saying that the dispute over Tehran’s nuclear program is not bilateral, but one that affects many countries.
WASHINGTON, May 4, 2006 (AFP) – The White House on Thursday again rejected the idea of one-on-one talks with Iran, saying that the dispute over Tehran’s nuclear program is not bilateral, but one that affects many countries.

“This is a threat posed to the region and to the world,” White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters.

He added: “This is not a bilateral issue between the regime and the United States, this is an issue between the regime and the international community.” Iran and the United States have not had direct relations since 1980, which many experts say is a big factor in the current diplomatic impasse.

Frank-Walter Steinmeier, the foreign minister of US ally Germany, recently called for direct talks between the two countries.

McClellan expressed US support for a resolution circulated by France and Britain in the UN Security Council, calling on Iran to halt its uranium enrichment program.

Meanwhile Tehran claimed Thursday it had made more progress in ultra-sensitive nuclear work, showing yet more defiance in the face of Western lobbying for tough Security Council action.

The Franco-British text, worked out in close consultation with Germany and the United States, invokes Chapter 7 of the UN Charter, which can authorize economic sanctions or even as a last resort the use of force in cases of threats to international peace and security.

Russia and China — which both have veto powers on the Council — appear to be opposed the text, but McClellan said the process is in its early stages.

“This is a draft resolution,” said McClellan. “It’s been circulated by the United Kingdom and France, and we are supportive of it.”

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Argentina slaps $6 mn fine on HSBC subsidiary

AFP: Just last week, officials in the United State...

EU ready to act on Iran satellite jamming – draft

Reuters: The European Union plans to take action against...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you