Iran General NewsIran’s news agency chief resigns after dispute with minister

Iran’s news agency chief resigns after dispute with minister

-

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Sep. 27 – The head of Iran’s official news agency IRNA, Ahmad Khadem-Almelleh, has resigned from his post over a dispute with the country’s Minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance Mohammad-Hossein Saffar-Harandi. Iran Focus

Tehran, Iran, Sep. 27 – The head of Iran’s official news agency IRNA, Ahmad Khadem-Almelleh, has resigned from his post over a dispute with the country’s Minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance Mohammad-Hossein Saffar-Harandi.

Khadem-Almelleh said in a statement that he had sent his letter of resignation to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad because he could not carry on working “under the current conditions”.

He said that he had differences with Saffar-Harandi over how the official daily “Iran” should be run.

IRNA holds the publishing licence for the official daily.

“This is normal in the administration of the media. You usually have differences of opinion”, Khadem-Almelleh said.

A ban on the daily Iran, which had been in place for the past four months, was lifted on Tuesday.

The paper was suspended from printing after widespread anti-government demonstrations erupted in the northwest of the country in May against its publication of an insulting cartoon mocking ethnic Azeris.

Saffar-Harandi had appointed Khadem-Almelleh as head of the official news agency following Ahmadinejad’s election victory in June 2005.

Khadem-Almelleh was previously IRNA’s bureau chief at the United Nations in New York.

The state-run news agency Fars reported that Khadem-Almelleh was replaced as IRNA chief by Jalal Sayazi, the former head of the hard-line daily Quds.

In August 2005, IRNA’s then-managing director Abdollah Nasseri stepped down from his position days after he was summoned to court for questioning after Ahmadinejad’s campaign team filed a complaint against the agency for biased reporting against the conservative camp during the June election campaign.

He was replaced by Gholam-Hossein Eslamifar, the agency’s deputy for news affairs.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Horrifying Road Fatalities Rages in Iran Met with Regime Inaction

Road fatalities in Iran are no longer an accident;...

Israel’s Barak urges more sanctions against Iran

Reuters: Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak called on Monday...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you