Iran General NewsIran says no early release for jailed Western pair

Iran says no early release for jailed Western pair

-

AFP: Iran confirmed Tuesday it has dismissed an appeal for early release by a Frenchman and German jailed for 18 months for illegally entering Iranian waters, saying their original sentence was already lenient. TEHRAN, Oct 17, 2006 (AFP) – Iran confirmed Tuesday it has dismissed an appeal for early release by a Frenchman and German jailed for 18 months for illegally entering Iranian waters, saying their original sentence was already lenient.

However judiciary spokesman Jamal Karimi Rad said Frenchman Stephane Lherbier and German Donald Klein were entitled make a further request for parole even though their latest appeal had been thrown out by the court in the southern Hormozgan Province.

“First of all, the reason for the refusal of their appeal was that they received specially reduced sentences” when the verdicts were given at a court in the town of Bandar Abbas in January, Karimi Rad told AFP.

Lherbier, who has a fishing business in the United Arab Emirates, had set out on a trip with his German client in November last year.

The two were arrested near the island of Abu Mussa which is claimed by the United Arab Emirates. They said they had mistakenly used Emirati maps that showed the waters around the island as belonging to the UAE.

Karimi Rad added that as foreigners it would not be possible for the pair to fulfill the normal conditions of parole by staying in Iran and regularly reporting to the authorities.

“And since they cannot fulfill this part of the parole conditions, their request was denied.”

“Anyhow, even though their request for parole was denied it does not mean that they can not file another request.”

France has already expressed regret over the dismissal of the appeal, saying the orginal penalty was “excessively heavy” in relation to the facts and Paris would continue to press for the men’s release.

Both Germany and France — two countries that have been at the forefront of diplomatic efforts to solve the ongoing standoff over Iran’s nuclear programme — have repeatedly called for the men’s release.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Iran rejects IAEA nuclear demands, says ready for confrontation or talks

AFP: Iran will not cede to international demands that...

Activists call for renewed protests to mark student-led uprising

Iran Focus: Tehran, June 28 - Pro-democracy activists in...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you