NewsSpecial Wire18 Revolutionary Guards killed in south-east Iran bombing

18 Revolutionary Guards killed in south-east Iran bombing

-

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Feb. 14 – At least 18 members of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) were killed in a bombing in the restive south-eastern province of Sistan-va-Baluchistan, state media reported on Wednesday. Iran Focus

Tehran, Iran, Feb. 14 – At least 18 members of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) were killed in a bombing in the restive south-eastern province of Sistan-va-Baluchistan, state media reported on Wednesday.

The bomb exploded next to a bus belonging to the IRGC Ground Forces as it was travelling down Tharollah Boulevard in the city of Zahedan, close to the Afghan border, the official news agency IRNA said.

The government-run news agency Fars reported that the blast occurred at 6.30 a.m. local time.

IRNA quoted Soltanali Mir, the provincial director general of political affairs, as saying that five individuals had been arrested in connection with the bombing.

Two of the individuals arrested were armed with grenades and were carrying video cameras, Mir said.

He added that Iranian security forces had killed a member of an outlawed group in the province on Tuesday.

There has been no official claim for the bombing.

Sistan-va-Baluchistan Province is home to Baluchis, a predominantly Sunni Muslim ethnic minority.

Iran has witnessed escalating unrest since 2006 in areas populated by Baluchis, who complain of discriminatory and repressive policies by the theocratic regime.

In recent months, Iranian authorities have stepped up executions in the restive province in what many Baluchis believe is a response to a spate of attacks by dissidents on government and security officials.

A Baluchi group opposed to the government of Iran calling itself Jondollah has claimed responsibility for a string of armed attacks on government officials.

In March, the group claimed responsibility for an armed attack on a convoy of government officials in Sistan-va-Baluchestan, which left 22 government and provincial officials dead and at least seven, including the governor of Zahedan, critically wounded.

In April, Iran’s state-run media reported that security forces had killed the group’s leader Abdolmalek Reigi along with 11 of its members on the border with Afghanistan.

The claim proved to be false after Reigi subsequently appeared on an Arabic-language satellite channel denying such rumours.

The group claims that it does not target civilians.

Latest news

The Role of Students and Universities in Iran’s Nationwide Uprising

In the national uprising of the people of Iran, which started in mid-September this year, the students played a...

Snapback Sanctions, a Must Response to Iran’s Human Rights Abuse and JCPOA Violations

The protests in Iran have been going on for more than two months, even though the regime is cracking...

Growing Disintegration Among Iran Regime’s Forces

Iran has been shaken by a wave of nationwide protests since mid-September. The trigger was the death of the...

Grim Tidings for Iran’s Regime After Approval of UN Fact-Finding Mission

After many discussions and debates, the United Nations Human Rights Council has approved a fact-finding mission to investigate the...

Iranian People’s Resistance Changed the Appeasement Policy

Soon after the new US government started its obligations in January 2021, hand in hand with the European governments...

Khamenei’s Disgraceful Campaign Against Piranshahr and Javanrud, Who Will Be the Loser?

On the 67th day of Iran’s revolution, the Iranian regime attempted to put a halt to the protests in...

Must read

Panel in U.S. capital condemns Iran meddling in Iraq

Iran Focus: Washington, DC, Oct. 14 – A panel...

IAEA hears Iran nuclear weapons work went on beyond 2003

AFP: Documentation presented Monday to the governors of the...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you