Iran Nuclear NewsRussia says gave Iran no ultimatum on enrichment

Russia says gave Iran no ultimatum on enrichment

-

Reuters: Russia on Tuesday denied a report that senior officials had warned Iran that nuclear fuel for its first atomic power station would be withheld unless Tehran suspended uranium enrichment. MOSCOW (Reuters) – Russia on Tuesday denied a report that senior officials had warned Iran that nuclear fuel for its first atomic power station would be withheld unless Tehran suspended uranium enrichment.

The New York Times reported on Monday that Igor Ivanov, the secretary of the Russian national security council, had delivered the ultimatum at a meeting in Moscow last week.

“The assertion of the newspaper that the Russian side, as part of Russian-Iranian consultations in Moscow on March 12, supposedly delivered some sort of ultimatum is not true,” Russia’s security council said in a statement.

Russia this month announced indefinite delays to the Bushehr nuclear power station, which a Russian state-owned firm is helping to build, after Iran missed millions of dollars in payments for the station.

Some analysts said Moscow’s patience was wearing thin with Iran and that the Kremlin had decided to take a tougher line in negotiations with Tehran.

But the Security Council said Moscow was not linking the building of the station to international concerns about Iran’s nuclear program.

“The resolution of the Iranian nuclear problem and the completion of the building of the atomic power station in Bushehr is not being tied together by the Russian side,” the security council statement said.

Russia’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement that the delays to Bushehr were purely technical.

“The existing problems in this area have an exclusively financial and technical character,” the foreign ministry said.

Latest news

Massive Washington Rally Highlights Growing Pressure on Iran’s Regime

Thousands of Iranian Americans, political activists, and former U.S. officials gathered in Washington, D.C. on May 16 for one...

French Magazine Exposes ‘Shah-Making Factory’: Fascist Networks and Lobbies Grooming the Shah’s Son as an Alternative to the Iranian Regime

The renowned French magazine Nouvel Observateur has published a comprehensive investigation by Marie Vaton exposing the hidden mechanisms of...

Iraqi Militia Commander Arrested Over Alleged Plotting of Terrorist Attacks in the U.S. and Europe

An Iraqi militia commander has been arrested on charges of involvement in planning more than 12 “terrorist” attacks in...

Concerns in U.S. Congress Over Cryptocurrency Transfers to Networks Linked to Iran’s Regime

Two members of the U.S. Congress, Sean Casten and Gregory Meeks, in an official letter to the U.S. government,...

IRGC Increases Terrorist Activities in Gulf Arab Countries

At a time when Iran’s regime is pursuing a policy of regional militarism, a broad wave of alleged IRGC-linked...

77 Days of Internet Shutdown, A Tool of Control and a Sign of Tehran’s Real Fears

The crisis of internet shutdowns in Iran has entered a new phase. 77 days of internet cuts, widespread disruptions,...

Must read

Family of Mahsa Amini Not Allowed to Leave Their Home on The Second Anniversary of Her Death

On Sunday, September 15, on the anniversary of Mahsa...

Rice says time for ‘strong steps’ over Iran

Reuters: U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said on...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you