Iran Nuclear NewsIran will not halt enrichment: official

Iran will not halt enrichment: official

-

AFP: A defiant Iran said Saturday it would not give up uranium enrichment a day after six world powers in London agreed to push towards a third round of UN sanctions if the nuclear stand-off persisted.
TEHRAN (AFP) — A defiant Iran said Saturday it would not give up uranium enrichment a day after six world powers in London agreed to push towards a third round of UN sanctions if the nuclear stand-off persisted.

“We welcome offers to participate in the uranium enrichment in other countries, but if these offers include the condition of a halt of enrichment in Iran, then it is not acceptable,” deputy supreme national security council head Javad Vaeedi was quoted as saying by the official news agency IRNA.

“All of our endurance was done to preserve our right in enriching uranium,” he added.

The “E3” of Britain, France and Germany, plus the United States, Russia and China, backed the drive for a third UN Security Council resolution and vote on Iran, unless upcoming reports showed “a positive outcome”.

“While we are fulfilling our international duties, we are not expecting punishment,” Vaeedi added.

“Passing resolution will not have a desirable outcome, and the countries who are talking about resolutions and sanctions are those who are not satisfied with Iran and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) cooperations,” he said.

Foreign ministers of the six powers decided in late September they would wait for the IAEA’s Mohamed ElBaradei and European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana’s reports before deciding on whether to push for a third round of UN sanctions.

Iran and agreed on a timetable in August for Tehran to provide answers to outstanding questions over its nuclear programme.

The IAEA has been probing Iran’s programme for the past four years but has so far failed to conclude whether it is peaceful or not.

Iran has rejected Western charges that Tehran is trying to build atomic weapons under the guise of its civilian nuclear programme.

The Security Council has passed two rounds of sanctions to force Iran to suspend uranium enrichment, which can be used to supply the fuel for power generation or for nuclear arms.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

World powers will stop nuclear Iran: German FM

AFP: German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle vowed Thursday that...

Pressure grows on Human Rights Watch to retract report on Iran opposition

Iran Focus: Washington, DC, May 26 - A press...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you