Iran Nuclear NewsSwiss freeze assets of 12 more Iranian firms

Swiss freeze assets of 12 more Iranian firms

-

ImageAFP: Switzerland said on Wednesday it had frozen the assets of a further 12 Iranian companies in accordance with new United Nations sanctions aimed at stopping Tehran's alleged nuclear programme.

ImageGENEVA (AFP) — Switzerland said on Wednesday it had frozen the assets of a further 12 Iranian companies in accordance with new United Nations sanctions aimed at stopping Tehran's alleged nuclear programme.

The 12 companies, and 13 individuals, have been added to an existing blacklist of 23 companies and 27 people. ]

Five Iranian nationals are also banned from entering and passing through Switzerland, the country's Federal Council said in a statement.

Switzerland will also ban the delivery of so-called "dual use" materials that could be used for the manufacture of nuclear plants, and the export of some drones and missiles, the statement said.

The UN Security Council last month imposed its third set of sanctions against Iran in the space of 15 months to punish Tehran's refusal to suspend uranium enrichment, which world powers fear Iran could use to make nuclear weapons.

The resolution gives Iran three months to comply with demands to suspend uranium enrichment, and includes an outright ban on travel by officials involved in Tehran's nuclear and missile programmes, as well as broadening a list of individuals and entities subject to an assets freeze.

Switzerland's own trade and diplomatic relations with the Islamic Republic have come under fire in recent months after Foreign Minister Micheline Calmy-Rey travelled to Tehran in March to sign a gas deal.

Jewish-American group the Anti-Defamation League took out full-page advertisements in Swiss and international papers earlier this month accusing Switzerland of "funding terrorism" through the deal, a charge vehemently rejected by Bern.

The ADL placed advertisements headed, "Guess who is the world's newest financier of terrorism? Switzerland," in the International Herald Tribune, The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times earlier this month.

Israel and the United States also criticised the deal between Iran's state gas firm and Switzerland's Elektrizitaets-Gesellschaft (EGL) Laufenburg, whereby Iran will reportedly supply 5.5 billion cubic metres (194 trillion cubic feet) of gas annually from 2011.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Lays Groundwork for Raising Gasoline Prices

As economic and financial pressure on the Iranian regime intensifies, Iranian regime president Masoud Pezeshkian has once again laid...

Iranian Regime Parliament Speaker: If People Are Hungry, We Will Not Survive

Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, the speaker of the Iranian regime’s Majlis (parliament), warned about the consequences of the economic crisis...

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Must read

UN is warned to act to prevent further attack on Iranian dissidents in Iraq

PRNewswire - In a press conference in New York...

Iran sentences men to stoning, amputation of fingers

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Dec. 27 – Iran’s State...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you