Iran Nuclear News'Ball of fire' if Iran attacked: IAEA chief

‘Ball of fire’ if Iran attacked: IAEA chief

-

ImageAFP: UN atomic watchdog chief Mohamed ElBaradei warned that any attack on Iran would transform the region into a "ball of fire," in an interview with Al-Arabiya television broadcast on Saturday.

ImageDUBAI (AFP) — UN atomic watchdog chief Mohamed ElBaradei warned that any attack on Iran would transform the region into a "ball of fire," in an interview with Al-Arabiya television broadcast on Saturday.

His comments come after US media reported that Israeli jet pilots trained for a possible strike on Iranian nuclear sites.

"A military strike (against Iran) would in my opinion be worse than anything else… It would transform the Middle East region into a ball of fire," said ElBaradei, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

Should a strike be carried out, he told the Dubai-based channel, he would find it impossible to continue as head of the IAEA.

An attack, he added, would do nothing but harden Iran's position in its row with the West over its nuclear programme.

"A military strike would spark the launch of an emergency programme to make atomic weapons, with the support of all Iranians, including those living abroad," ElBaradei said.

He did not believe, he added, that there was any "imminent risk" of proliferation given the current status of Iran's nuclear programme and made it clear he would "not have a place" as head of the IAEA in the event of a military strike against Iran.

The New York Times on Friday cited US officials as saying a major military exercise carried out by Israel earlier this month seemed to be a test-run for any potential strike against Iran's nuclear facilities.

In Athens, an official with the Greek air force's central command confirmed to AFP the substance of the report, stating that it had taken part in "joint training exercises" with Israel off the Mediterranean island of Crete.

The manoeuvres, code-named "Glorious Spartan 08," took place on May 28 and June 12, and consisted of aerial exercises and knowledge exchange, said the Greek source, who requested anonymity.

The goal was for more than 100 Israeli F-16 and F-15 fighter jets to prepare for long-range strikes and demonstrate Israel's serious concern over Iran's nuclear ambitions, the Times reported.

On June 6 an Israeli Deputy Prime Minister, Shaul Mofaz, warned that Iran would face attack if it pursues what he said was its nuclear weapons programme.

In Tehran, senior cleric Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami warned Israel of a "strong blow" if it attacks Iran.

"If enemies, especially Israelis and their supporters in the United States, would want to use a language of force, they should rest assured that they will receive a strong blow in the mouth," Khatami said in his Friday prayers sermon.

Iranian government spokesman Gholam Hossein Elham told reporters on Saturday that an attack by Israel was "impossible."

Latest news

Massive Washington Rally Highlights Growing Pressure on Iran’s Regime

Thousands of Iranian Americans, political activists, and former U.S. officials gathered in Washington, D.C. on May 16 for one...

French Magazine Exposes ‘Shah-Making Factory’: Fascist Networks and Lobbies Grooming the Shah’s Son as an Alternative to the Iranian Regime

The renowned French magazine Nouvel Observateur has published a comprehensive investigation by Marie Vaton exposing the hidden mechanisms of...

Iraqi Militia Commander Arrested Over Alleged Plotting of Terrorist Attacks in the U.S. and Europe

An Iraqi militia commander has been arrested on charges of involvement in planning more than 12 “terrorist” attacks in...

Concerns in U.S. Congress Over Cryptocurrency Transfers to Networks Linked to Iran’s Regime

Two members of the U.S. Congress, Sean Casten and Gregory Meeks, in an official letter to the U.S. government,...

IRGC Increases Terrorist Activities in Gulf Arab Countries

At a time when Iran’s regime is pursuing a policy of regional militarism, a broad wave of alleged IRGC-linked...

77 Days of Internet Shutdown, A Tool of Control and a Sign of Tehran’s Real Fears

The crisis of internet shutdowns in Iran has entered a new phase. 77 days of internet cuts, widespread disruptions,...

Must read

Reactions to UN decision to impose sanctions on Iran – Britain

Iran Focus: London, Dec. 23 – The following is...

Push to Kill Iran-Airbus- Boeing Deal Renewed

Iran Focus London, 18 Jan - A new bill has...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you