Iran Nuclear NewsIran sees nuclear talks in a few days

Iran sees nuclear talks in a few days

-

ImageReuters: Iran expects talks on its disputed nuclear programme to begin within days, a senior Iranian official said in remarks published on Wednesday.

ImageTEHRAN (Reuters) – Iran expects talks on its disputed nuclear programme to begin within days, a senior Iranian official said in remarks published on Wednesday.

"Now the West has accepted to start negotiations with Iran and this is the best way," Mohammad Saeedi said when asked about possible talks with European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana. "Our diplomacy is based on negotiations."

Saeedi, deputy head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organisation, was quoted by Fars news agency as saying: "Talks will start in the next few days and at that time many issues will become clear."

Solana is acting as envoy for six world powers which have offered Iran nuclear, trade and other incentives to coax it into halting sensitive nuclear activities. Western nations fear Iran is seeking nuclear weapons. Tehran denies this.

Western diplomats, citing conditions in the incentives package, say world powers have only offered full negotiations if Iran suspends uranium enrichment — a demand Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has since called "illegitimate".

The diplomats say the powers — the United States, Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China — have offered to hold preliminary talks to discuss modalities for formal discussions.

Even those preliminary talks, they say, will require Tehran to freeze any expansion of its nuclear programme in return for the U.N. Security Council halting further sanctions measures. Iran has given no indication it will accept a freeze.

Western powers worry in particular that Iran's uranium enrichment-related programme will be used to make material for nuclear weapons. Oil-rich Iran insists it is only mastering the technology so it can produce fuel for power plants.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy said the six powers would send Solana back to Iran to discuss the incentives package which the EU official delivered to the Iranian capital last month.

Sarkozy did not say when Solana would travel to Tehran. Iran formally replied on Friday to the incentives offer. France said the response ignored the demand for suspending enrichment.

(Reporting by Zahra Hosseinian; Writing by Edmund Blair, Editing by Alistair Lyon)

Latest news

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

Must read

Wave Of Poisoning Attacks Against Schools Leave Hundreds Sick

Iran has been shaken for three months by serial...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you