Iran Nuclear NewsIran has clear "red lines" in nuclear talks

Iran has clear “red lines” in nuclear talks

-

ImageReuters: Iran has "clearly-defined red lines" in any talks with major powers on its disputed nuclear programme, its highest authority said on Wednesday, making clear the country would not give up its atomic activities.

ImageTEHRAN, July 16 (Reuters) – Iran has "clearly-defined red lines" in any talks with major powers on its disputed nuclear programme, its highest authority said on Wednesday, making clear the country would not give up its atomic activities.

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, speaking three days before Iran's chief nuclear negotiator is due to meet European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana in Geneva, also said the Islamic Republic would cut off the hand of any aggressor.

Iran is embroiled in a deepening international standoff over its nuclear programme, which the United States and Israel suspect is aimed at making bombs, a charge Tehran denies.

Six world powers last month offered Iran economic and other incentives to try to persuade it to halt uranium enrichment, which can have both civilian and military uses.

Iranian officials have repeatedly refused to suspend activity which can provide fuel for nuclear power plants but also material for weapons if enriched much more.

Iran, the world's fourth-largest oil exporter, says its nuclear programme is solely aimed at generating electricity.

"This (nuclear) achievement belongs to all the Iranian nation and no power would be able to deprive the Iranian nation of this technology and certain right," Khamenei said.

"In relation to negotiations … we have very clearly defined red lines," he said in a speech quoted by state radio.

Iranian officials have previously said uranium enrichment was a "red line" and would continue.

The standoff over Iran's nuclear activities has sparked speculation of a military confrontation with the United States or Israel and helped push up oil prices to record levels.

Iran has vowed to strike back at Tel Aviv, as well as U.S. interests and shipping, if it is attacked.

"The hand that would attack the Islamic Republic of Iran will be cut off," Khamenei said. (Reporting by Hashem Kalantari; Writing by Fredrik Dahl; Editing by Giles Elgood)

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran cracks down on “mal-veiled” women – photos

Iran Focus: London, May 05 – Iranian authorities have...

Iran bans investor foreign exchange trade to prevent ‘fraud’

Bloomberg: Iran banned investors from trading on foreign exchanges...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you