Iran Nuclear NewsChina says talks are way forward on Iran nuclear...

China says talks are way forward on Iran nuclear issue

-

ImageAFP: China on Thursday called for continued dialogue to resolve the international standoff over Iran's nuclear programme, after it took part in six-way talks on possible new sanctions against Tehran. ImageBEIJING (AFP) — China on Thursday called for continued dialogue to resolve the international standoff over Iran's nuclear programme, after it took part in six-way talks on possible new sanctions against Tehran.

"China urges all sides to use diplomatic means to peacefully resolve the Iranian nuclear issue through dialogue and negotiation," foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang told reporters.

"This is the best choice and it conforms to the interests of all sides as well as peace and stability in the region."

The spokesman said Beijing would remain in "close consultations" with all parties on the issue.

After weeks of stalling, China on Wednesday participated in telephone talks with Britain, France, Germany, Russia and the United States on how to proceed on the Iran issue over its suspect atomic drive.

The UN Security Council already has slapped three rounds of sanctions on the Islamic republic over its refusal to halt uranium enrichment, which the West and Israel view as a cover to build nuclear weapons.

Iran denies the charges and maintains that its nuclear programme is solely geared toward electricity generation for its growing population.

China, a close ally of Tehran and now its top trading partner as a key buyer of its energy resources, is so far the only veto-wielding member of the Security Council that does not back further punitive action against Iran.

In the past, Beijing maintained a similar stance on sanctions, only to eventually acquiesce to watered-down measures.

Britain's UN Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant told reporters in New York that officials from the six countries "have agreed they will have further discussions of possible measures (sanctions) early next week."

Asked whether China's presence signaled a willingness by Beijing to engage substantively in bargaining over a fourth round of sanctions, the British envoy said: "My understanding is that they have agreed to engage substantively."

Latest news

40 million Iranians Below Poverty Line

Iran’s economy entered the year 2026 while many economists and regime-affiliated research institutions warned that the country has entered...

Telecommunications Employees in Tehran Protest Four Years of Unpaid Claims

Four years of non-payment of overdue telecommunications wages have pushed employees’ livelihoods to the brink of collapse. According to...

US Prepares for Another War with the Iranian Regime

Images released from the U.S. Navy’s Carrier Strike Group 11, led by the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, show that...

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Must read

EXCLUSIVE – U.S. group targets Honeywell over Iran

Reuters: A pressure group, United Against Nuclear Iran (UANI),...

Afghanistan protests to Iran over border killings

Reuters: Afghanistan has protested to neighbouring Iran over the...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you