Iran Nuclear NewsIran "could cancel uranium deal over sanctions"

Iran “could cancel uranium deal over sanctions”

-

Reuters: Iran could cancel its agreement with Turkey and Brazil to transfer some of its uranium abroad if the U.N. Security Council approves a new round of sanctions against it, a member of parliament said on Thursday.

TEHRAN (Reuters) – Iran could cancel its agreement with Turkey and Brazil to transfer some of its uranium abroad if the U.N. Security Council approves a new round of sanctions against it, a member of parliament said on Thursday.

Brazil and Turkey brokered a surprise deal this week in which Iran agreed to send some low-enriched uranium abroad in return for fuel rods for a medical research reactor. The first batch is due to arrive in Turkey within a month.

Such an arrangement was first suggested as a way of allowing the international community to keep track of nuclear material the West suspects Iran wants to use in nuclear weapons.

Turkey, Brazil and Iran have urged a halt to talk of further sanctions because of the deal, but critics describe it as only a tactic to avert or delay sanctions.

Despite the deal, Washington has circulated a draft sanctions resolution, agreed to by all five permanent U.N. Security Council members after months of negotiation.

“If (the West) issues a new resolution against Iran, we will not be committed to Tehran’s statement and dispatching fuel outside Iran will be canceled,” prominent lawmaker Mohammad Reza Bahonar was quoted as saying by Iran’s Mehr news agency.

“Major powers along with the U.N. Security Council have reached consensus about Iran and it is highly probable that in the near future the fourth round of resolutions becomes operational against Iran,” Bahonar added.

The new sanctions would target Iranian banks and call for inspection of vessels suspected of carrying cargo related to Iran’s nuclear or missile programs.

Iran has previously dismissed the draft resolution as lacking legitimacy and unlikely to come to pass. It says its atomic ambitions are purely non-military and refuses to suspend uranium enrichment.

“The Americans will take their wish to harm the Iranian nation to their graves,” President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was quoted as telling military officials on Thursday by state news agency IRNA.

(Reporting by Ramin Mostafavi; writing by Andrew Hammond; editing by Andrew Roche)

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

US Capitol Hill briefing denounces Iran’s meddling in Iraq

Iran Focus: Washington, May 11 – A briefing was...

Iran cuts gas exports to Turkey after Turkmen cut

Reuters: Iran has reduced natural gas exports to Turkey...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you