Iran Nuclear NewsIran dismisses report of new US nuclear fuel offer

Iran dismisses report of new US nuclear fuel offer

-

AFP: Iran on Friday dismissed a media report that the United States was mulling a new offer to the Islamic republic to transfer Tehran’s low-enriched uranium to Russia for higher processing.

TEHRAN (AFP) — Iran on Friday dismissed a media report that the United States was mulling a new offer to the Islamic republic to transfer Tehran’s low-enriched uranium to Russia for higher processing.

Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said the report was a “media game” and no new “proposal has been forwarded to us.”

Le Monde newspaper reported Washington was planning to offer to transfer 2,000 kilogrammes (4,400 pounds) of low-enriched uranium (LEU) for further enrichment in Russia, rather than an October 2009 proposal to shift 1,200 kilogrammes of LEU out of Iran.

The report said the new proposal being considered by President Barack Obama’s administration would require Tehran to relinquish 30 kilogrammes of 20-percent enriched uranium it has refined since February.

Le Monde’s report appears to be similar to one published in The New York Times last month which also said the Obama administration was preparing a new, more onerous offer for Iran on a nuclear fuel swap.

But Mottaki rejected the latest report.

“There is no logic in it,” the foreign minister told Iran’s state news agency IRNA. He said any fuel swap would depend on Tehran’s needs as defined in a deal brokered by Brazil and Turkey in May.

The May deal, known as the Tehran Declaration, calls for 1,200 kilogrammes of Iran’s LEU to be transferred to Turkey in return for 20-percent enriched uranium to be delivered from Russia and France at a later date.

“The Tehran Declaration explained the framework for the fuel swap,” Mottaki said.

“If they do not wish to exchange fuel, we do not want this swap either because the Islamic Republic of Iran is taking its own measures” to produce the higher grade fuel, he said.

Talks between Iran and the United States, Russia and France over a fuel transfer have been deadlocked since October 2009, just as the overall nuclear negotiations between the six world powers and Tehran have hit a stalemate.

The world powers suspect Iran is masking a weapons drive under the guise of a civilian nuclear programme, a charge strongly denied by Iran.

But Iran and the major powers are expected to meet later this month to hold talks on Tehran’s overall nuclear drive at which the issue of a fuel swap is also expected to be discussed.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran students boycott university classes in capital

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Dec. 05 – Students at...

Iran swimmer says record denied over unIslamic costume

AFP: An Iranian woman has claimed that the authorities...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you