Iran Nuclear NewsEU 'concerned' over Iran uranium enrichment plans

EU ‘concerned’ over Iran uranium enrichment plans

-

AFP: The European Union expressed concern here Wednesday over Iran’s plans to triple its capacity to purify uranium, in defiance of multiple UN sanctions.

VIENNA, June 8, 2011 (AFP) – The European Union expressed concern here Wednesday over Iran’s plans to triple its capacity to purify uranium, in defiance of multiple UN sanctions.

In a statement to the International Atomic Energy Agency’s 35-board of governors, the current EU president Hungary said the 27-nation bloc “notes with particular concern” Iran’s announcement which would “further exacerbate” Tehran’s defiance of the UN Security Council.

Iran’s nuclear chief Fereydoun Abbasi Davani had announced earlier that the Islamic republic “will transfer the 20 percent enrichment from Natanz to the Fordo site this year, under the supervision of the (IAEA).

“We will also triple the (production) capacity. The 20 percent enrichment will not be stopped at Natanz until the production level is three times higher than its current rate,” Abbasi said.

The UN Security Council in New York has repeatedly ordered Tehran to halt all uranium enrichment until the IAEA had verified the exclusively peaceful nature of its nuclear activities.

Uranium enrichment is the most sensitive part of the programme because it can be used to produce both the fuel for a nuclear reactor and the fissile material for an atomic warhead.

The West accuses Tehran of seeking to build a bomb under the guise of a civilian power programme, a charge which Iran strongly denies.

In the IAEA’s latest report on its long-running investigation into Iran’s nuclear programme, the UN atomic watchdog complained about Tehran’s refusal to cooperate, particularly with regard to allegations of weaponisation work.

In its statement to the closed session of the IAEA board, the EU “notes with grave concern the continued absence of progress in Iran’s cooperation with IAEA.”

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Iran ‘destabilising actions’ source of concern: US

AFP: Iran and its "destabilising actions" in the Middle East...

Iran maintains hard line at UN nuclear conference

AFP: The chairman of a stalled UN conference on...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you